This Disappears When Logged In

My Turtle Isnt Eating

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by turtle, Mar 19, 2010.

1. turtle

turtle Active Member

my res martin isnt eating he just hangs around 1 area. any suggestions why he isnt eating?

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

We need a lot of info! There are a lot of reasons an animal won't eat..

Describe tank setup(lights, temps, size, the inside of the home) what you feed him, has anything changed(temps dropped etc), any tankmates, how long have you had him and has he been eating and how long since he ate etc

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

How long has it been since he ate?

4. turtle

turtle Active Member

2 days but know he can eat a little bit though i think i have a bigger problem. He swims really slowly he seems to be scared of me, and he only eats a little bit. He genneraly seems to be less active sometimes.

Well nevermind about being scared just im going to have to feed him now instead of my mom because he's scared of my mom, maybe because she's the one that takes him out of the tank when we need to clean the tank.

There is a turtle dock, a filter, a heater some shiny rocks,2 plastic plants and a little rock on the turtle dock that he likes to strech on. oh and a big rock so he can get on the filter. he is the only one, its beeen 2 days though he did eat a little today. and he's been eating since the day we brought him home ( 3 months ago).

5. hennisntacanibal

What are the temps?

6. turtle

turtle Active Member

im not sure but he does have a heater . please help im extremly nerveus he hasnt eaten for 4 days.

7. hennisntacanibal

You need to get a thermometer and figure out what the temps are. If the water is too cold, he won't eat. And if you're sure there's something wrong with him, take him to the vet. Sometimes a simple vitamin shot will boost the animal's appetite and save him from losing weight. Is he active? Does he notice you when you walk into the room? Is he cold to the touch?

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You HAVE to have a thermometer!!!! This is an absolute! You cannot just guess at the temperature.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

And what sort of lighting do you have for him. they need a basking bulb with UVB.

10. turtle

turtle Active Member

ok thank u

11. turtle

turtle Active Member

yeah is does have uv lighting

12. hennisntacanibal

Did you get a thermometer?

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What type and brand is the UV bulb?

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

UV or UVB lighting. There is a HUGE difference.

15. turtle

turtle Active Member

yeah it is 80F 27 celcius

16. turtle

turtle Active Member

It is aquaglow brand but also i think even if he trys to get the food he kinda tilts to one side and cant get it. we even tried giving him shrimp snacks

17. turtle

turtle Active Member

how do you check?

18. hennisntacanibal

It should have been on the box it came in and also on the base of the bulb. Your turtle needs a full spectrum uv bulb, with UVB and UVA. UVB is extremely important when it comes to bone and shell growth, and UVA helps with digestion.

19. turtle

turtle Active Member

it just said it is 14wats

20. hennisntacanibal

I have never heard of aquaglow. Does it emit heat?