This Disappears When Logged In

My Turtle is Hardly Moving!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Lollipopgecko, May 12, 2014.

1. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

For the past week my turtle has been acting very lethargic, he will float around in the water with his eyes closed. He will still wake up when he is fed but after that, he returns to what he was doing before. Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

2. avagaddis

avagaddis Well-Known Member

Aw, im sorry for his condition! I think he may have some sort of sickness though. Maybe an infection or parasites..would u mind posting up a few pics of his tank, the turtle himself, and anything else that may be important? Also, what do you feed him? How often do you clean the tank, or what type of filter do you have?

-Ava

3. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

What type of turtle do you have? What is your set-up like? Temps, etc.? Without any details it sounds like a possible upper respiratory infection to me.

4. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Also, is there any wheezing noises, abnormal bubbling around the nose and mouth, or goopy-eyes?

5. Lollipopgecko

Ok, I will post some pictures of his enclosure and the turtle himself. He's a male red eared slider, he is in a 75 gallon aquarium, he has two Aqueon QuietFlow 50 gallon filters and an Aquatop CF500UV external canister filter, the water is room temperature, his basking area temperature is about 90°F, and the basking area itself is a large turtle dock which he often has trouble getting onto. I thought that might be it, but he has only recently been acting like this. Also, he doesn't have any of those symptoms you mentioned. I will try to get pictures hopefully this evening.

6. Lollipopgecko

Here's an update: he stopped acting strange and now he's acting completely normal. I won't be able to get pictures until Sunday. Is there anything I still might be doing wrong?

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Was it colder in your house than usual? And how are you heating the water? If it was cold for a couple days that would explain it being lethargic.

8. Lollipopgecko

It never really got colder in the house. I probably should get a heater if that's why he was acting so strange...Oh and the bulb I use is the ReptiSun 10.0.