This Disappears When Logged In

My Snake Keeps Opening His Mouth..

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by JWaR, Nov 11, 2011.

1. JWaR

JWaR Member

Like I said he recently had a bad shed, the only remaining shed is around his nostrils and one of his eyecaps is still on. I don't know what to do, because I'm almost certain he opens his mouth constantly to breath, because I was just holding him and for a minute or so, he opened his mouth 3 times. Today is the day I feed him too, because he ate last Friday for the first time :D

2. justor

justor Elite Member

So did you already feed him today? Or are you planning on it? If you already fed him perhaps he is just realigning his jaw? I'm not the best person to be offering advice on pythons. Just a thought.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, how`s the humidity level now, have you covered the screen top with something solid yet? (I`ve just read your other threads)..

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

If you fed him recently, he will need to realign his jaw, but that should not take more than a couple hours at the very most.

If he has shed stuck on, it may be obstructing his nares (nostrils) the fastest safe way to get it off, is to tie him up in a pillowcase with a damp towel. Place this in his cage overnight. he will nose around, and try to get out, which will eventually remove any stuck shed.

If he is still opening his mouth, after the stuck shed has come off, you will need to take him to a vet, because the other possibility is a respiratory infection. If his temps have been cooler, or your humidity lower than recommended for a BP, or if you hear wheezing, gurgling popping sounds when he breathes or he is producing bubbly saliva, those can all indicate possible infections. Caught early, they can be a simple fix. Left unattended, they can be expensive to fix, and can result in death.

5. SublimeShine

SublimeShine Well-Known Member

How long have you had him?

6. ZGreen13

ZGreen13 New Member

if he shows signs of a respiratory infection like dragoness is talking about dont take him to the vet just turn the heat up on the tank to about 85 or 90 and it will heel itself. another sign of a respiratory infection is when he flicks his tongue if its not forked because the same mucas that will bubble sometime wont bubble. i had my first ball python die from this didnt know what it was didnt know enough about snakes... anyways lesson learned and never again :)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

This is not always the case. If you catch them very early, you can sometimes fix them with just increased temperatures, but it's a gamble, with your snake's life at stake. At any rate, bump the temps is you suspect an infection, because it will help no matter what, even if you need to take your snake to a vet.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s always better to be safe than sorry, I`d see a vet.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is one of the most irresponsible things I have seen for a while! Advising someone NOT to take a sick animal to a vet?
    Just what temperature you think a ball python should be kept at normally?

10. JWaR

JWaR Member

He hasn't opened his mouth, at least I haven't seen him do it since yesterday afternoon. I tried the towel trick 2 days ago, and nothing came of it, the shed is still there, and one of his eyecap's is still stuck on. He's been very active today, the temp is around 88-94, but the humidity is HORRIBLE, 21%. I AM HAVING A HUGE HUMIDITY PROBLEM, would you please give me tips to help with humidity. I have plastic wrap around 2/3's of the top of the cage, and still hasn't helped. Just a side note, I was just watching him as I was typing this and he was climbing on the side of the cage, and somewhat fell. I small chuckle came over me ^.^

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Switch out the plastic wrap for a soaking wet towel. Cover as much of the cage as you can. Screen lid right? You will want to look into making a tight-fitting wood or plastic lid that won't let the humidity (or heat) out so easily. The more of the lid you can cover, the better your cage will hold humidity.

If you need a relatively inexpensive cage that will hold heat and humidity very well, get a plastic rubbermaid/sterilite type tub with lockable lid. You can cut holes in the top, and attach hardware cloth ($10 or less) for the light fixtures to rest on. Try to get something the same size as your current cage, or larger.

If you can't find one with a lockable lid, you can use industrial velcro to help keep the snake from escaping it.

12. JWaR

JWaR Member

Should the towels be soaking wet? and thoughts on getting a fog machine type thingy? Could you show me some? :3

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

soaking wet towels will amp up the humidity on your cage in a matter of minutes, and keep it that way for days. Be sure to keep the towels wet.

You can use a regular room humidifier for the cage as well, they tend to be cheaper, and longer lasting that pet store cage foggers and the likes. Either hook it up outside the cage, and pipe the humid air in, or put it in the cage, and take precautions that your snake cannot hurt himself on it.

It can be tricky using machines to humidify snakes, as they have a propensity for getting into mischief with anything in their cage.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, the problem is that there`s still a 1/3rd of the top open, you will never stabilise the humidity level unless you cover the top completely, you only need a few small holes for air exchange. Did you wet the pillowcase as well as the towel, when you put him in all night long?

15. JWaR

JWaR Member

Oh and, how can I get his eyecap off?!?!?! or should I wait until his next shed?

16. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Amp his humidity up, but don't bother his eye. He needs to get it off himself, otherwise you could cause serious damage. If it doesn't come off within the next shed cycle, consult a vet.

Next time you notice him gearing up to shed, really bump up his humidity a LOT.