This Disappears When Logged In

My Snake Has Mites >:-O . Got Injection....

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

My snake now has mites. i cant catch a break with this thing, lol.
    I have no idea how he got them, but i discovered them yesterday, and some were really big!

I brought him to the vet and he gave him an injection of I THINK Ivermectin....
    not so sure of the name, but i figured it has to be that.....

i read about how it can cause nuerological disorders in some species.
    i didnt really want him to get the injection, but he assured me its totally fine in the right dosage(this guy is the main doctor/owner)

im still today finding mites under his scales tho!

so my questions:
    1. how long does the injection take to work to kill the mites
    2. has anyone had anything bad happen to their snake becasue of this medicine?

thanks!!

2. MagnumU

MagnumU Banned User

This doesn't really answer your questions...but i killed off my mite problem with 2 baths in slightly soapy water for the snake each day for two weeks and a few good cage cleanings. It is now three weeks after stopping treatment and not a mite in sight. Just in case you get mites again you may try that. Imo I think its better then pumping them up with some chemical. plus they love the baths! best of luck to you.

3. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Hi this wont answer your question about the med but my vet told me to get pure olive make sure it has no additives in it. rub the snake down whip it off disinfect the cage and it solves the problem. Athena our redtail had them twice and after doing the olive the last time she got them she hasnt had them since.

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

the meds should kill the mites on the snake, but it wont do anything for the mites/eggs in the enclosure, you need to clean do that part. If the cage is small enough to move easily set it outside and then fill it with bleach water and let it soak for a couple days. and then rinse it really really well of course

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

she hit the nail on the head - and Ivermectin can have neurological side effects on reptiles, though it is typically observed in turtles and tortoises. It won't work unless you remove mites from the rest of the house as well - and thoroughly clean everything. Since you have to do it all anyways, the injections is rather wasted, unless your animal had a particularly heavy infestation which was causing serious health problems, and needed to be knocked back overnight (did your vet do any blood work or anything to discern this?).

You'll still need to do all the quarantine and cleaning procedures outlined in the page below, to get rid of other mites in your house, otherwise you run a significant chance of reinfection.

Snake Mites - Identification - Removal