This Disappears When Logged In

My Snake Has Gone Off Her Feed, Now What?

Discussion in 'Garter & Water snakes' started by Joy81, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Well my little Garter Flash has stopped eating. She is in a 25gal with 2 hides 1warm, 1cool. The cage temp runs around 72-75 with a basking spot reaching upper 80's. She has showed no signs of getting ready to shed, her temperament is still sweet and normal and she seems just fine otherwise. She stopped eating about 2 weeks ago. I've tried mice, nightcrawlers [her fave], goldfish, and tilapia strips. She shows absolutely no interest. I have done lots of research and i think she might want to hibernate, since that is normal for this time of year, but she is still very active. My question is, do I cool her anyway and just keep an eye on her, or keep trying to feed her and let her be?:confused:

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Not sure how it works with garters but around this time of year, my rosy boa will go off of food anywhere from July/August up until February/March. He has done this for the past 3+ years that I've had him. They can sense the drop in temperature. You can skip a week or two and try offering again, but if she is not sick, still is acting normal and is not losing alot of weight then you shouldn't have much to worry about. My boa will very rarely eat during the winter. My corns on the other hand are pigs lol. :) I don't think you really have to do anything with her temps but again I don't keep garters. I just keep my snakes' temperatures pretty much the same all year round.

3. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Ok, thanks. I won't mess with her temps then, she did eat a night crawler last night. Only eating one is very strange for her, she is such a pig!

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

Yea, I kind of know what you mean. Usually my rosy will eat every 2 weeks but during the winter months I'm lucky if he eats one meal.

5. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Fisher has also gone off of food. She stays in the coldest parts of her tank and if they aren't cold enough she sits in her water bowl. She was WC though and this is her first year in captivity. I suppose it is completely normal. Though all of the babies are still eating like pigs. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.