This Disappears When Logged In

My Slider Is Attacking My Other Turtle

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by eoin, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eoin

eoin New Member

Hi, I'm really worried about my turtles, I have 2 male Yellow Belly Slider turtles. They are both about 6+ inch shells, but one is stronger than the other. They are in a 60-gal tank I think. Well it's 3-ft long, 1-ft across and 1.5ft in height. They often put their hand up to each other and vibrate their nails. But 3 days ago I saw the big one bite the other one on the neck really hard, and today I saw him bite him again and this time he would not let go, he bit him on the underside of his neck. I took them out of the water but he still would not let go, what can I do? :confused:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Welcome to the board.

Unfortunately this is very common in turtles. They don't always get along, especially the males. With aggression comes stress, and improper conditions. The males will fight for the basking spots.

And your tank is about 60 gallons too small. The general rule is 10 gallons per inch of shell, so 2 turtles at 6" shell a piece is 120 gallons. Increasing space and adding an additional basking spot may or may not relieve the competition.

Your best bet is to get an additional 60+ gallon tank, and separate them.

3. eoin

eoin New Member

Ah no. I really didn't want to have 2 split Bert and Ernie up. If that is what I need to do then that's what I'll do. What should I do now? I can't get a new tank at the moment, but not sure if they will be OK in the tank together.

Also thanks for replying.

I was also wondering why turtles sleep on each others backs?

4. schlegelbagel

Usually its because they are fighting for the basking spot. The higher the turtle, the greater the basking. And remember, while one turtle is basking on the other, the one on the bottom gets no UVB.

For a new and short term tank idea, look into a large storage tote.

You could also try going the larger route and adding an additional basking spot. I know over here in the US, we can get large Rubbermaid animal Stock Tanks. A 110 gallon one goes for about $60.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If your dimensions are correct what you actually have is a 33 gallon tank! No where near big enough for those two turtles!
    You have to separate them before someone gets seriously injured!

6. eoin

eoin New Member

the dimensions are correct, we do not use gallons in europe so i am not sure . but im trying to resolve this issue , and hopefully i can resolve this

7. schlegelbagel

Do you know what it is in liters?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's a courtship ritual, though sliders are not picky as to the gender (or even species) they are courting. All we can say is that whoever is shaking their nails is a male. I had a slider try to court my pleco once... In case you didn't know, a pleco is a fish...

This is a very approximate translation, but each turtle needs about 80 liters of water for every 5 cm of shell length. That tank needs to be larger to house two sliders (Be thankful, the males are much smaller than the females in most cases)

Plastic storage bins make great cages for turtles, I use one for my Map Turtle. They are very easy to clean, and very affordable. Many people also use stock tanks.

Hope this helps.

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

For the time being i think you could use a spare bathtub if you have one

10. eoin

eoin New Member

Hi there thanks for all the support, It is very difficult to get big tanks in Ireland , and they are very expensive, but I have found some one that has a 5 by 1.5 by Ft 2.5 tank that they custom made and are willing to sell, but now i am wondering that due to this amount of water will I need some sort of super filter pump to maintain my tank, i have been looking of youtube and such and have seen a lot of these advanced filtration systems. Any recommendations or advice :) thanks

11. schlegelbagel

Most aquarium stores sell canister filters. You want to aim at twice the filtration as you have water. So if you have 70 gallons of water (note, not the size of the tank because you won't have it filled up all the way) you would need a filter for 140 gallons.

Look into stock tanks at farming supply stores. Much much cheaper.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You'll probably want the same kind of filter they use for small garden ponds. Check with a store that sells garden supplies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.