This Disappears When Logged In

My Saturday Projects.

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by Thalatte, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So my job in Peoria has ended and I was able to move back home. Hurray!!! But when I got home I recieved a rude awakening. The box turtle cage was starting to mold really bad. The fire-belly toads had been moved to the hottest room in the house (reptile room) and had no lights or anything so their cage was really dark and the temp was in the high 80's. All the tortoises were inside in tiny little cages which were only meant for hibernation and yet they were all awake. The torts outside pens had been taken down and I dont know where the bricks are that separated the yard for the pens. All the cages were gross, probably hadnt been cleaned since I was home 2weeks ago. Tais cage was bad. The temp on his basking was 108, cool side was 88, and the humidity was a whopping 42% and the humidifier was bone dry. He also seemed to be having a difficult shed.
    And on a side note all my dogs reek. The terrier has long hair and its crusty in places which is really gross.

So Friday night I went shopping for new supplies that I need for the reptiles. Threw all the torts outside. Then upgraded Harley from the 40 breeder to the 90gal.
    056.jpg before
    CBEFB89B-84A4-44C6-AFA8-AE85161A5698-19791-00001121FDA87C53.jpg after then I added Tai's old climbing pipe. 56912852-1757-44D0-85A5-11FD1365A32C-19791-00001120D6A3CFD4.jpg

Then I worked on the Box turtle cage since the babies and adults were in it and I don't like mold. I emptied the pond. Took out the rocks and got to work shoveling out the dirt one trowel full at a time... Couldnt use a shovel because the only one I had was ridiculously long and I didnt want to risk hitting anything and cracking any of my nice cages or make the 500 crack worse. Then it was time to refill the cage.
    Oct 25 2012 031.jpg The before
    3DA95913-E28C-435B-BE1E-43F022AFA9A5-19791-000011221D3FBF88.jpg new supplies.
    18E64853-19F9-4C2B-B96D-C61D12F898D7-19791-000011219444C62A.jpg the digging..so not fun.
    E770EE41-2524-4453-9F19-CA9298630343-19791-000011222BAC2158.jpg the cracked and empty cage. I also removed all the silicone that was covering the crack since it didnt seem to be doing anything.
    E886D755-EACF-4362-85B4-08549502EC2C-19791-000011212F8D8F66.jpg I just piled the dirt along the back wall so that I could pick through it and get all the bugs out. I now have a large colony of superworms and pods and beetles. as well as earth worms.
    E199EAE9-ABF5-47D6-9E2F-EC5ED467D37E-19791-0000112342189EA8.jpg 3F1ACED7-B38A-44D3-8AB0-41B329AC1EA6-19791-000011213EEF55DC.jpg DAE9E805-5E9D-4B15-A027-6F6751E1C2B6-19791-000011214DAA5892.jpg All the boxturtles thought it was a wonderful idea to climb the mountain. There was a trail along the backside of it from them going up and down, up and down.
    D303D7EE-975B-41A2-B808-B63A725702C5-19791-00001120FA16F097.jpg 8EBD69EA-B3FE-4545-9D3F-6ED1C7D20BB2-19791-000011210DCB2A47.jpg Then Dozer thought it looked fun. She didnt make it far though she kept trying.

To be continued...I have more to show but the laptop is dying. Once it charges more I will show the completed photos.

2. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Were you not livid? Yr post seems so calm...

The torts climbing the dirt is so cute. It reminds me of my kids lol. They see dirt, they are in it! Lol. Looks like a lot of work ahead. So sorry. I hope they are all ok.

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Thala, i think nxt time itd be easier to just pack up the herps and take them with you.

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Agreed^.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh I had thought of that but the place I was working would only allow them in the garage which got way to hot. I was definitely livid. If you had been here and heard what was said to my stepfather who was supposed to be caring for the animals after the sitter had to leave... Then to top it all of he refused to help at first and when I finally did get him to help fix the messes he had made he whined the whole time. Then once I fixed the immediate problems he starts whining about it costing more money to do it this way and its pointless. So tired of his immaturity I grounded him for a while and took away his tv privledges. I swear I am raising all my parents...

I will never again agree to an out of city job or an extended vacation. In fact I cancelled the three vacations/trips I had planned over the next few months just to avoid similar circumstances.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok now where did I leave off...

I guess I will just do the finished product: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The babies immediately went into their hide and dug down. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

And the adults went exploring! image.jpg image.jpg

Beaker is a very industrious turtle. For over half an hour all he was doing was this: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg he almost made it this time but then he fell and got stuck: image.jpg he hasn't tried again since this.

For Tai's cage I just did a major cleaning and then planted some strawberry plants in his box and a hibiscus in the corner by his pond. image.jpg image.jpg the hibiscus bloomed over night. image.jpg

So all the plants I planted are: hibiscus in the pot in the turtle cage. Hibiscus and strawberry in Tai's cage. A hollyhock in one corner of the backyard (banes outside pen, and isn't shown because I have yet to get blocks or a fence of some sort. And a prickly pear cactus in a pot outside. I also have basil and cilantro in random pots. Everything I bought was to just add variety to the salads I usually feed.

Also the fire bellies got a new setup while I was away and after some minor tweaking this is what they have: image.jpg image.jpg

7. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Love the enclosures... Im sure your torts do too. I am jealous that some of you guys can make outdoor enclosures.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Thanks. I do like them alot better.

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Yes outdoor enclosures are sweet. Too cold up here for that.
    Looks like a lot of fun.

10. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

^same for Ohio, Mike! We aren't that north but it gets too cold in winter. Well, I have a red eared slider and I think there are sliders in Ohio and they hibernate I guess...but in my current house, I don't have a good place to set up outdoor and even if I wanted I am sure it is against our homeowner's association. But it is really cool. I bet people have turtles and tortoises outside but I have a pretty nice place inside for mine and she is happy. :)

Strawberry plants! You can put live plants like that in the CWD? I know you can put live plants in general but plants like berry plants is a good idea...oh I still have lots to learn.

Lol on grounding your step father. It might be "expensive" to do it the way you do it but for the health of your pets it is kind of necessary.

11. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yeah and he doesn't pay for any of it so he can just shush.

Outdoor enclosures are great but have to be careful of birds of prey and them digging out of the yard. Plus if you have a sprinklers system be prepared to constantly replace pipes. Then there is the possibility of burrows being so deep you can't get to them, burrows flooding, or even collapsing. It's great but a lot of stress. Also I have had some torts break through fences, which sometimes isn't a big deal but when your neighbors are elderly people that run naked in their backyard...not something you can un-see.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    Look how pretty! The hibiscus has bloomed in both enclosures.

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

looks like a lot of work but your enclosure like really nice! Great job you're doing with your guys!

14. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Nice job! That's definitely a lot of work :-/ and did you just say something about naked elderlies? :eek:

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Once my turtle tank knocked down the wooden fence between my yard and the neighbors and they are... Eccentric I guess. They like to cavort about in their birthday suits in their backyard and they didn't bother covering up or anything when they walked through the back hard and knocked on the kitchen door to tell me about it...that was not what I wanted to see first thing in the morning.
    Needless to say I now only use block fences.

image.jpg tai likes his hibiscus...but I wonder how much of a beating the hibiscus can take or if tai is going to kill it...

16. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

LOL She did work hard trust me. She was so p*ssed off to find all of that, I thought she was going to blow a gasket all over someone!! LOL I told her I gotta hire her to come redo my cages too!

17. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Lol on the elderly covorting nekkid. Haha.

I need to find a list of live plants that aren't poisonous to water dragons. Hibiscus is so pretty.

18. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

I found a list of edible plants. Some I recognize as bearded dragon treats- like nasturtium and petunia. Is that a general reptile safe list? I think I might incorporate some live ones in with my fake ones.

Thanks Thala for your inspirations.

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

If it can be eaten by them it can be planted in their enclosure. Then for further info look through this extensive database for more ideas. Plant Food for Tortoises - The Tortoise table
    It is for tortoises but torts are much more insatiable and eat everything in their cages so I figure anything they can eat isn't likely to poison a CWD that more than likely wont eat the plants.

20. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Wow you are even more awesome than I thought! Nice remodel.

We had a tortoise who wandered into my mothers yard a while ago, naturally we got given the tortoise.
    We had him for a couple of years till he finally wandered off. We live in Tucson so we get random wandering wildlife now and then.
    He was so docile that I think he might have been a pet at one point. I miss him!