This Disappears When Logged In

My Res Turtle Is Acting Strange?

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by TheTurtGuy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. TheTurtGuy

TheTurtGuy New Member

I've had the turtle for about 3-4 weeks now. I took it from my cousin who was treating it terribly. He's very active. Moves around, swims, and loves to walk on your hand. But for the last couple of days, he's been acting a little different from the time i've had him. He just sits on my hand and opens his mouth for a bit. Then he closes it. I'm just wondering if it's something i should be concerned with or not. I feed him some Commercial Pellets every couple days, and he usually eats them. Any ideas if he is fine or not?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We need a rundown on exactly how you are housing it.

3. TheTurtGuy

TheTurtGuy New Member

Well, It's Usually About 70-80 Degrees In The Tank. His Water Is Low, Because He Has Softshell And The Vet Said The Water Weakens His Shell. He Has A Basking Area And He Lives In An 80 Gallon Tank. I Usually Take Him Out For 30 Minutes A Day To Play, And If The Weather Is Nice, I'll Let Him Walk Around In The Grass.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Uh, I'm thinking you need a new vet if this is what he said. And did this vet prescribe/recommend calcium supplements of some kind? Soft shells are caused by an improper diet that doesn't have sufficient calcium, and from lack of exposure to proper levels of UV lighting. Mine are fed a combination of Mazuri freshwater turtle diet, leafy greens, and assorted bugs and even an occasional rodent. I provide UV by housing them outside when thenweather permits, and indoors with mecury vapor bulbs and UV fluorescent lights. You can makemup for a lack of UV with proper supplementation, but that is a guessing game and not usually recommended.