This Disappears When Logged In

My Rainbow Boa Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by littlefawnmom, Feb 20, 2014.

1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

How about you give her six days and feed her two pinkies?

2. littlefawnmom

littlefawnmom Member

Ok I will do that. Thanks again. Then I'll get rat pinky's next time and feed her 1 every 7 days.

3. giveuptheghost

giveuptheghost Well-Known Member

How's she doing?

I was going to suggest picking up a plastic sterilite tub to keep her in instead of the cage. That's what I kept my BRB in before his proper cage came (the carpet cage model from AP). Just drill a few air holes on two sides. It keeps humidity quite nicely. My rainbow has never had a bad shed. Definitely get a humid hide set up and that's most likely where she'll spend most of her time. I have a couple of these: zoo-med-repti-shelter-3-in-1-cave-small-4.jpg Put a generous handful of spaghnum moss inside it and open it up and mist if every couple days. Also check for poop while your at it.

The bin isn't as pretty, but it definitely holds humidity better than a tank. Once she's grown, a glass tank would probably be fine, as long as you cover the top with something. They are a bit tougher then than they are as babies though, obviously.

4. emanresu

emanresu Member

you mentioned you're feeding the snake unthawed fuzzy mice. I hope you meant thawed. they should be warmed by sealing them in a zip lock bag and sitting the bag in warm water. the mouse should be body temperature when served. 2 feet long is probably about a year old, maybe a little less. And at 2 feet a fuzzy mouse might be too small, try a hopper mouse. Feed only at nighttime and let him in total peace and quiet and darkness all night long.

5. Raylen

Raylen New Member

When our snakes have problems shedding, aside from adjusting the temp in the tank of course, there is a product called Shed-ease that you add to warm water and bathe the snake for up to 20 minutes to allow a quicker shedding. Make sure to avoid trying to peel the skin from the snake, but light rubbing might help. I have a ball python that will not eat because she cannot finish removing the skin from her face, and daily use of Shed-ease has been helping tremendously.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds more like you need to increase the humidity. Using things like shed ease is just a temporary fix.

7. littlefawnmom

littlefawnmom Member

Thank you all for your feed back. Yes I meant thawed for feeding mouse and she is really small. Fuzzy rats are to big for her still. I don't recall putting how big or little she is. The humidity is at 99 most of the time and haven't had to use shed ease, but did buy some just in case.

8. littlefawnmom

littlefawnmom Member

well both of our female rats had babies and Ka Baby ate a live a day old live baby rat.