This Disappears When Logged In

My photoalbum!

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by CodyW, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIke_Haare

MIke_Haare Elite Member

moldy email me at mike_haare@hotmail.com with all your questions if you still have any I can answer most of them (I've just ended up looking through old posts lol)

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Im at it again :D

The corn plant (thanks for the id merlin) was a little drab looking, not to mention it was a toilet for my geckos, when I took it out it was covered in droppings :mad:

Anyways I've been looking for fig trees for a while and I got one last week, its a Ficus Benjamina. Its a special F.Benjamina, known as 'Tropical Rainforest Ficus,' in that its been adapted for low light extra moist conditions, just like my vivaria. Ive been softening it and had it Q'ed and put it on a whim last night. I beieve that the now dense and almost cluttered cage has already pleased the occupants. :)

Attached Files:

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Day by day pics.

I started my viv and well , hopefully i'll be able to take pics of each of the steps. I worked on this last night and now have to wait 24 hours until I can work on it tonight and then wait another 24, then another 24, again and again.... O well

I put the cork bark and fern panels down and coated the sides in GE II silicone, by tonight the silicone will be covered in foam, which will later be covered in coco husk/peat. There will also be a small rock structure in the bottom left. Most of the planning is still up in the air, we'll see after a trip to the store :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. venus

venus Founding Member

as usual, looking great. Keep us posted.

5. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

ENJOY

Well the work in progress is turning into quite the endeavor. I'm still waiting for the mortar but everything else is good to go. The plants still have to be ordered as well but I have to get my lights first.

The finished viv is getting redone today as well, for a few reasons :eek: . Mostly b/c there is perlite in the potting soil that I was unaware of. I also need to add some sort of compost to the soil (probably leaf mould) in order to get some more growth and development.

Attached Files:

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its gonna look great! One thing about the ficus. You will undoubtably need to trim it. When you trim it the sap (latex) is a bit messy. If you wet the end of your finger and touch the cut the bleeding will stop. (old bonsai trick)
    The cuttings are also very easy to root. Just stick em in the soil and you will have more trees.

7. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Thanks for the heads up Merlin :) . The sap was concerning me and I only do trimmings in the very early morning so that the geckos don't come in contact for at least 10 hours.

I was actually getting ready to see how easy it is to root these, its an F. Benajamina. If I can gets some decent saplings by next summer I plan to do some root over rock styles with them. The current tree is going to have some work done on it this winter as well ;)

8. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

What a bunch of cuties Cody! Good for you on the excellent care.

The vivs are more fantastic everytime I see them.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

They are cuties, and I have one of them from Cody. lol :p . Her name is Solara and I will post pics soon. Your project looks great Cody, keep up the good work.

10. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I redid my 10g vert last night. I did some bonsai tricks with the ficus, unfortunately I won't know the results until I remove all of the soil from around the base. Yes there is an excess of soil that will be removed in a few months. Im also getting more plants next weekend

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my 20g vert is almost done. I am still waiting for the mortar...its only been 3 months :rolleyes: Its probably a good thing because I had to carve away alot more foam b/c it was not very secured, so its now siliconed and attached more Permanantly. The mister is also working, im in shock! I put some seran wrap down to mimic the soil and see if the mist would fill the 'river' area, it did to an extent, I still have to wait a while to test my drip system though, at least the mister worked b/c I don't think ill be able to say the same for the dripper.

[​IMG]

ENJOY :D

Can someone please edit the title to warn people without broadband.

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Very very cool Cody!!!

I have a hint for future reference though....
    If they keep using the plants for a toilet, then just put the plant (bare root) into the dishwasher for a quick rinse in cool water! :D
    Make sure to rinse all the dirt off the root ball first though and don't put the water on full blast like you do for dishes!
    I don't know how you would do this with a built in dishwasher... (you can't control the water pressure). I wash all my fake plants in the dishwasher too! :p

12. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Heres the viv I just finished for my PDF's. I have to redo the whole thing though because the bulkhead leaks :mad: I also have to add the rest of the plants but good thing I waited considering I have to take everything out then put everything back in. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Amber

Amber Elite Member

Wow the gecko in the 7th pic looks a LOT like one of mine...

[​IMG]

and all the vivs look great!

14. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Hmmm 7th pic, which one is that LOL

It does look alot like all of my hatchlings. Very very pretty :)

15. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

your vivs r beautiful and so are your cresties :D

16. Microscope Jockey

Microscope Jockey Elite Member

WOW! You have more patience then I ever will in this life time! Beautiful! :D The "devil" is pretty cute too ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.