This Disappears When Logged In

My Newest Basking Ledge

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by mayhmmaydn, Sep 15, 2013.

1. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

really tired of putting all the work in and then sealer makes it all shiny.. but then whats a girl to do?

D2733047-orig.jpg before sealer

C24424E3-orig.jpg after a few coats

Attached Files:

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

As the last coat of sealer is drying sprinkle it with sand.

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

That turned out awesome! Really nice work. What did you seal it with? Did you use grout or anything or is that just foam and paint?

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Good job!

5. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

I used regular sheet foam from lowes/homedepot and then cut it . I used no sanded grout and applied 3 or 4 layers. I forget. then I got some paints I liked and started playing. Tried to do shadows and highlights. Some texturing here and there and now im on layer 2 of probably 7 layers of sealer to harden it all up. especially the bottom edges and the corners that stick out. My last one has bits chipped off here and there that I need to re seal.

Im going to take the idea of adding some sand or soil to the final layers for traction and to dull it down a little. they have some cool looking colored sand that I may use. I will decide this week. There HAS to be something else to use. Nontoxic. safe etc.

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement. eventually I want to do larger habitats with nice backgrounds .

after grout and paint im using a poly acrylic waterbase sealer in semigloss. WIsh there was a flat.. Hard to make sandstone look like sandstone if its stinkin shiny! lolol. Its so lightweight though I love it. Thanks Cry!

I have seen that Idea and will probably do just that! Thanks!