This Disappears When Logged In

My Newest Addition: Boomer the Rosy Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by MAM, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAM

MAM Active Member

Its been a while since I've posted on this forum, but I'm back. In June I went to a reptile expo, just to look (yeah right). Needless to say, though I just went there to get info on local beardie breeders, I ended up leaving with a Crested Gecko and a Rosy Boa. Amazingly, when I got home, I expected the fiance to freak out because I bought stuff. Instead I got "You got a snake?!", said with a wide-eyed, child in a candy store look. He was so excited we went straight out and got a much bigger tank so we won't have to get one down the road, and all the gear. Boomer, as we named him, is only a little over 12 inches long and so I figure still quite young. A few pics so you can see his size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've done a great deal of research on them, and while I'm finding plenty of info on how to breed them, I'm not finding much info on how to sex them. We'd like to know if we have a Boomer or Boomette, and we'd like to try breeding down the road when he's reached sexual maturity. Is it possible to sex them so young or would we have to wait for maturity? Or even then, would we not be able to figure it out without consulting a professional?

Thanks guys!
    MAM

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on the new addition. He is beautiful. :D

3. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Awww

He is so small and cute! Congrats on your new addition! :D

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Hey Welcome back....and you have a gorgeous little guy there....Lyn

5. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Congratulations! :) He's beautiful! As far as sexing goes, he would need to be probed by a herp vet or a very experienced herper that you trust completely. That's the only way to know for sure, and even then, mistakes are occasionally made...

6. MAM

MAM Active Member

Thanks everyone, we just love him (you should hear my fiance baby talk to him.....). :D If I had known what an easy critter he'd be, and how much more clean he is than my lizards, I'd have just started out with a rosy boa!!

smallgrayfox, thanks for that. So sexing him may or may not be possible. Well, I supposed if we're serious about trying our hand at breeding down the road, we'll contact a professional. Until then, we'll just enjoy our little assumed to be boy.

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

That's what we've done with my daughter's corn snake...at least until she decides she's ready to take him to our local herp vet and have him probed. I think she will eventually want to know for sure, even though we have no plans to breed, but so far her reaction to the idea of having him probed is a facial expression that looks just like this smiley : :eek:

It's pretty funny :D

8. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

congrats on your new additions !!

Snakes are definitely easier than lizards, enjoy

9. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I love rosies! I'm very jealous, he's great looking :D

10. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

very pretty snake, thanx for the pics

11. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

he's very pretty...congrats :)

12. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

OMG he's soo cute! Congratulations on the new baby,lol!Aren't snakes just great?!! :D :cool:

13. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow how did i miss this?? congrats on the new baby! he's got beautiful colors. i love my rosy. and yours is such a little guy compared to mine. they are great snakes, very docile. i need to get some updated pics of mine up here. :D

14. RockRatt

RockRatt Member

Hello I just read your post and I know it is a few years old. I am guessing that you figured out how easy it is to sex a Rosy Boa by now. You do NOT need to have them probed. Rosy Boa Males have spurs and Females DO NOT. I know it is VERY tough to find the spurs on neonates, I have to use a large magnifying glass to make sure.

I hold the Rosy with the Vent side up, lightly bend/flatten out the tail section next to the Vent. Lightly take my fingernail and slide UP the scales right around the vent looking for a spur while looking through a good magnifying glass. Probing a Rosy does NOT need ot be done ever, and in my experience probing a Rosy is more of a chance of being wrong. I know other Boid species the male and female have spurs but this is not the case with Rosys. I decided to make these comments for any future Rosy Fanatics..

morganjeeper/Rosy Boa Localities - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

15. venus

venus Founding Member

This thread is from 2005. It's being closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.