This Disappears When Logged In

My New Water Dragon Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by richcoulterjr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. richcoulterjr

richcoulterjr Elite Member

it started out as an entertainment center that we got from my mom. then the wife won on a scratcher, so we turned it into an enclosure.

Attached Files:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

It looks great so far. You should add more plants. They like to hide. What are the dimensions? This will be a good starter.

3. richcoulterjr

Overall it is a 4 foot square. I realize that ive got a bit more to do but he really likes it. I was reading somewhere that some water dragons like to dig and burrow down in the dirt. I thought it odd and then we could not find him in the enclosure. I started poking around at the bottom and found that he had dug himself a little hiding place back in the corner under the ramp. He had pushed his bark around and made a little lounge area and was just sitting there hanging out.

4. richcoulterjr

Wow right after last post i found my water dragon just kinda floating in the water. Wife was freaking out. I picked him up out of the water and he was just looking around like we had disturbed him. Is that a normal thing? im thinking I need to take some of the water out of there. In his old tank there was a water feature where he could get in the water and it was only 4 inches deep at the deepest. He would get in and just kinda stand up and soak for a while. Is this something smilar but just floating?

5. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

He will be fine as long as he has a way to get out. In the wild they will jump into a river/lake and swim to get away from predators. So, just make sure to have a large area where he knows he can get out and I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    When I give Buddy his bath I fill the tub so the water comes up to just below his mouth when he is in the middle of the tub. That way he has a deep end and a shallow end and I keep my hand in the water at the shallow end for when he wants to come out. He will swim around for about 5 minutes and then come to the shallow end and sit for another 5 minutes or so, then climb onto my arm and that means he's done with his bath LOL

6. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

Very nice enclosure, looks like you've done a great job so far!
    I know it looks way better than mine lol
    I just finished my CWDs enclosure, turns out I'm gonna have to add an extra 2 maybe 3 feet to it....but he's a pretty big male and almost adult size! Goodluck finishing it up, like I said you've done great so far! :)

7. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

Very nice enclosure.

I made one almost identical for my buddies basilisk.

If you are worried about the water being too deep i would add rocks to one side of the pool so that he can touch the bottom.

8. richcoulterjr

i ended up adding more branches of the greenery i used on the other side. added 4 more branches and for the most part he just hangs out there and lays on the leaf that holds him up far enough out of the water.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

pretty slick digs - looks very easy to maintain. Good job! The only thing you forgot is pictures of the lizard!