This Disappears When Logged In

My new Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Herpmom, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

A friend of mine surprised me with her Sulcata....she's about 2 or 3 yrs old. I had been pet-sitting her for about 6mths...the family's house was distroyed in the hurricane. Anyhow, they had picked her up about a month ago....I've missed her something awful. They called today to tell me she hasn't hardly eaten since going home, she lays around and tucks in her shell when they go near her (turtle depression :rolleyes: )

They said they couldn't stand to see her so upset and asked if I wanted to keep her for good. Of course I said yes....and before I was even off the phone....her son showed up at the door with her....I cried.

She ate almost the second I put the food down for her and she rubbed noses with me :p Yep I'm in love.

I'll post a picture of her tomarrow....need sleep, coffee's not working anymore :(

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

OMG; that is such a sweet story. I love happy endings! She must have missed you terribly! (I guess that gives the best answer to the poll on "Do Reptiles Have Feelings?" !!) :rolleyes:
    Congratulations. Does the tortoise have a name? I can't wait to see pics. :D

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Tort's are definitely high on the "reptile emotion" list, we have a tort that hisses at everyone but me when he gets picked up. I'm glad the two of you will be happy together!!!

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

LOL...awww thats sweet...bonding with the tortoise...sooo cute...thanks for the story...Lyn

5. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

I agree with the emotional tendencies of her. Hey Jay, I think I'm gonna put Iguanas in the #1 spot on that list.....but that another thread in itself.

Her (pretty sure it's a her) name is Speedy....and the name suits her, I never knew they could move that fast. She's fearless too.....my cat was sleeping one day and Speedy decided she wanted to be on the other side of her and tried to climb over her, the cat....moved and then looked at her like she was nuts, thinking....."She must not know WHO I am?"

Well, here she is.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

She is absolutely gorgeous!!! How big is she?

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Toni that is super. I'm glad you two were reunited and both are happy. She is a cutie. :)

8. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

Thanks guys.....

I just weighed and measured her....5lbs 3 oz. & 10 inches (shell length only). I thought (knowing how much we all like pics) that you might like to see a comparison between Speedy and my baby Sully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

What a sweet story - you're just too loveable Toni! :p Gorgeous pics, she looks right at home, and certainly sounds like she is putting the cat in its place :D I hope it goes well for you, and I hope this means we'll see lots more pics of her! :)

10. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Awww, what a beauty Toni, really sweet, great pics too :D

11. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

:D You know I will :D

12. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Awww, I think you must have been posting at the same time as me,, I didn't see the comparison photos - what a difference in size, and what a cute little baby!! I desperately want a tortoise.. one day :p Hehe notice a pattern here..?.. I want everything!! :D

Good luck with her Toni, I know you will give her a happy home and she clearly loves you to pieces already! :)

13. fuse

fuse Elite Member

beautiful pics, i go crazy with tortoises, they're so lovable

14. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

WOW! I have never seen better looking torts! You must take top notch care of them! Now I want one too! LOL :p

15. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

**blush** Thanks guys. I know what you mean....I really concidered getting one, until I I met Speedy.

Funny thing, I got the baby because I fell in love with Speedy while I was sitting for her & was dreading having to give her back.

When they brought her back to me.... they said they had wanted to let me keep her because they could tell how well we got on together, but they thought I didn't want her cause I got the baby...

Well....I wanted, oh boy I wanted..!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.