This Disappears When Logged In

My New Tokay!!!

Discussion in 'Tokay Geckos' started by dylroche, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dylroche

dylroche Well-Known Member

Got my new Tokay today!!! Took the day off for it so I could sign from Fed Ex lol... Ordered from Backwater Reptiles without reading reviews first and saw all the bad comments about them and got worried... Needless to say he arrived in awesome shape and I couldn't be happier! Pic of him and his setup let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks!

nqba.jpg

psxj.jpg

Have a Tokay and a Savannah monitor now, next is green tree monitor.. The room is startin :]!

Attached Files:

2. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on your new addition! Tokays are one of my favorite species by far. :)

I would suggest including a lot more fake foliage/hides/cork slabs to your setup. Tokays need to feel secure, and until they've adapted (which can take months with WC Tokays), they'll spend the vast majority of their time out of sight. They also primarily hang out on the glass, so the foliage should extend to the top to allow them to do so. They're an arboreal species, and while they will spend some time on the ground, they often prefer being up high. If you feed free-roaming crickets, you'll also need to allow your Tokay to be off the ground so they don't stress him out. Covering the sides and back of the tank with adequate cover will give your Tokay the security he needs.

3. dylroche

Thanks for the reply! Will definitely add some more items to his tank, and yes he is WC... I put some crickets in their for him.. Temp is a little over 80, humidity 70 he is hiding in the moss right now behind the bark hide... When should I start worrying if I don't see him feed? Let me know thanks.

4. dylroche

I also see a lot of tokays are a lighter color not as dark as mine as you can see, is that just a different coloring? He was over night shipped from Florida to WA state.. Had a heat pack in with him he was cold when I took him out but he hauled *** into the tank lol

5. cassicat4

Try and achieve a basking spot around 90F (85-95F is suggested). Too cool of temps is a big factor in Tokays not eating.

With WC Tokays, it can take some time for them to start eating. My most recent WC took just over a week, but it's not unusual for it to take 2-3 weeks. Leave him alone completely, only going in his tank to mist him and offer food. Keep a piece of potato or carrot in the tank at all times so if the crickets get hungry, they'll munch on that instead of your gecko. And keep an eye on your gecko's condition. WC animals often come with a higher parasite load, and this can take a toll on their health if they remain stressed. Look for signs of weight loss or dehydration. If you can, get a fecal sample to the vet as well to test for parasites.

Tokays change color based on mood. The darker color you're seeing is indicative of stress (likely due to shipping and cooler temps while shipping). Once your Tokay is established, they will also sometimes darken during the day ("firing up"), which is common for them and not necessarily stress-related. If your Tokay remains consistently dark (with no periods of lightening up) this is a concern, and you should carefully review your husbandry and care.

This is a good read and may also help with any questions/concerns you may have:
    Tokay Gecko (Gekko gecko) Caresheet

6. dylroche

thank you so much! will keep you updated!

7. dylroche

Already updated the tank felt compelled to cass! let me know what you think :]!

g7vi.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. dylroche

Ahh once night time hit put his night light on he just made his first appearance out of the hide crawling across the side of the tank :)!

9. cassicat4

Looks much better, and sounds like your Tokay would agree. :)

10. dylroche

How long should I hold off handling him? Gf named him Winston btw haha

11. cassicat4

I strongly recommend waiting until you know he's healthy (via vet/fecal check) and until he's eating/pooping regularly. Handling is stressful, even once they've adapted, so it's important to know he's healthy before subjecting him to more stress (which can exacerbate underlying health issues, if any).

12. dylroche

just scheduled to take him in Friday!