This Disappears When Logged In

My new T

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Inphormatika, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inphormatika

Inphormatika Elite Member

I had posted this yesterday, but it seems as if all my posts from last night have been erased.

I got a rose-haired tarantula yesterday at the midwest rep show. I couldn't pass one up. I've got a few questions that I've gotten ambiguous answers to in online care sheets.

Do rose hairs need enough substrate to burrow in?

Do they need a hide of some sort?

Are they safetly handled?

2. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

my buddy has the same kind,they are safe to handle just not while in a molt,as far as substrate i think they do burrow so you don`t need a hide. i am not a pro no spiders just what my buddy tells me , www.petbugs.com is a great site for stuff like that hope i helped you out good luck with your new pet

3. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Watch out for those urticating hairs though. I've heard that if those brush off and get into your eye it's really bad news. :eek:

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

This is how I keep my Rose Haired

She is on bark substrate, with a half log hide, buried on one end to simulate a burrow...she uses this all the time to ambush the crickets I put in for her...its quite amusing actually...I have never held her because for us it is more of an object of delight to watch...hope this helps...Lyn

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I've got a couple Ts myself. Rosehairs normally burrow, but if you can simulate one, then they'll usually use that instead cause its easier. I have mine in a tupperware shoe-box type thing, with holes drilled in the sides. Half is over a heating pad and the other half is not, with a hide at each end of the cage. A little plastic lid is her water dish, and I use a mixture of soil and peat much for the substrate. They definately need a place to hide as light is very stressful to them. In fact, if they are exposed to light for too long without a place to hide they can die from the stress it causes.

You can handle them, but I don't recommend you do that often as the tarantula gets no joy out of it at all, and it risks injury, they're rather fragile bodied. Plus if they get stressed enough they can bite, and it will hurt, and she may or may not inject venom. If you're allergic to bee stings, then a bite from a rose-hair could very well kill you, but if you're not, then its not much different than a bee sting, only the fangs are a bit larger than a bee's stinger ;) She could also use her back legs and rubb off some of those urticating (itch causing, I think its german, but I don't really know) hairs on the back of the abdomen. They will BURN your eyes, nose, throat, skin, AHH. Believe me, I know :rolleyes: I've never got them in my eyes (thank God!), but just getting them in your skin is very irritating. Like Lyn, I mostly just watch mine. I only handle them when doing presentations for kids. Ya know its weird, but little kids actually LIKE the tarantulas. When you hold a big hairy spider in front of a bunch of 2nd grade scouts, you expect screams, but the opposite was true. Took me by surprise, but now I'm getting off topic again :eek:

Mine get dechlorinated water whenever the dish runs out, and they get 1-3 gravid, gutloaded, and dusted crickets a week, with the occasional mealworm instead. Make sure you don't disturb her or leave any food in the cage when she's moulting and after she molts. She'll be very vulnerable then cause her body will be soft and she could easily become her prey's prey.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on your tarantual, i cant wait to see pics. Not sure about the holding part, that would be more of something to look at like my scorpion. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.