This Disappears When Logged In

My New Russian Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by fantasyfreakazoid, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Today my husband and I went and chose our new little Tortoise at our "local" (hour drive) reptile shop. Our little Guy is 4.5 inches long and we named him Coopa. As of now he is being left alone to get used to his new home. We have a huge backyard so we are building him an outdoor space for some supervised outdoor time to soak up some rays and get lots of exercise.
    20130804_152048.jpg
    20130804_152055.jpg
    20130804_152121.jpg

Attached Files:

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Nice find! Congratulations.

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Very nice! A few suggestions I have though are to add a water bowl. The best kind for torts are the shallow plates that catch the water from the plant pots...the are in the garden section and are rather cheap so if you get a couple big (about 6-8in diameter ones whould work) ones they work great as soaking dishes.
    And then also add some sort of railing to the ramp and the top platform. The railing should be about 5in high if possible. This will prevent him from falling off and ending upon his back of hurting himself.

4. Thanks thalatte, a water dish is on my list for shopping today. You can't tell from the picture but there is a railing on the back and front of the platform. I didn't even think of a railing on the ramp

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

oh in the kitty litter pan what about putting some dirt in it with some seeds so that you can grow grass for him to graze on?

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Congrats! I'd recommend swinging by the tortoise trust site to read up on care requirements, specifically those pertaining to diet (read the 'Mediterranean' portion--it'll make sense). Most of their preferred dietary items can be grown within the confines of your home or property (as Thala alluded to above). In addition to diet be sure lighting and heating requirements are met. What are the temps (basking, cool end, nighttime) within the enclosure and how are you measuring them? What specific types of lighting are you using and what are their respective distances from the animal?

7. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Congrats on your new addition!!!! I don't know much about tortoise, but I do know that Coopa is a very cool looking little dude.

8. When I get home tonight I can grab all the info. We have a thermometer/hydrometer from Walmart to measure hot/cool temps. The basking site was 92°F before I left this morning with the cool side being 75. I can't remember the specific lightsbut the boxes are in the closet so I can pull them out tonight.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Digital thermo/hygrometers are ideal, but I would recommend picking up an IR temp gun as well (Amazon, Harbor Freight, Newegg). Readings on the basking surface itself, even when measured with an IR gun, will differ from temps atop the animal's carapace, especially if you're using a spot lamp (which is not ideal when mounted in relative close proximity). Using spot lamps in close proximity can cause serious thermal burns. Generally speaking outdoor halogen flood lamps (household), quality MVB or MH lamps (Arcadia, MegaRay) or high lumen fluorescent (UVB [Arcadia, ZooMed] or non-UVB) in conjunction with ceramic heat emitters or IR heat projectors are ideal for basking. You want to provide an even area of heat that covers the entire animal and then some, which will create a nice graduated thermal zone. In addition, if using UVB lighting, be sure it's mounted within the recommended distance and preferably close to or directly beside a heat source.