This Disappears When Logged In

My new outdoor Ig-Pen

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by Mark, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Well here is my new outdoor ig pen. Small, portable, fast setup, secure enough to kick back on the deck with my lizard in the lawn. 9'x6' foot print with a 3' tall wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mark

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Hey Mark, I like that one alot better than the first. Looks great, I'm sure Bob is very happy. :)

3. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow!

That looks fantastic Mark. Bob is one spoiled and lucky iguana!! :D

Do you cover part of it for shade or can they take direct sunlight all the time? (I don't know much of anything about iguanas!) :eek:

4. Mark

Mark Elite Member

They need an option to get out of the sun so yes most of it is in the shade but I don't have a cover or anything. I just grab it and drag it into the shade (usually a north facing wall). I can drag it where ever I want on the lawn with Bob in it with only one hand.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks great Mark. The higher walls appear to make it a lot more secure than the previous one.

6. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Looks very good! Did you adapt an existing product or did you made it from scratch?

7. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Yes I adapted an existing product, well kind of. This is an adaptation of my current cages, just I don't have them readily available on the open market. This pen will be one of the first open offerings. That is when I get around to finishing the web page.

8. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Looks good.Can't you keep him on the grass,or why is the grass covered?

9. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

Really nice set up Mark, so simple too. How long do you have Bob out in it? Do you think he would appreciate a stump or log to lounge on? I'm thinking more for me...well my Igs ;)

10. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Cool that it is so light-weight you can move it easily but still strong enough to keep a large animal like Bob in!

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Great idea!!! :D
    Bob can get his UVB and you get peace of mind! ( I just hope he doesn't get out! :eek: )

12. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

I love the idea.....but I was wondering the same thing....couldn't he leap to the top?

My maggie can jump to the top of one of my outdoor cages in one leap and it's 3 feet tall. Truly an amazing sight to see !

13. IggieZ.

IggieZ. Elite Member

Thats a reallyt nice cage for Bob! Can I ask approx how much did it cost to make?
    Also the sides is that canvas material?
    Bob doesnt mind not being able look out ? my Iggie would go nuts if she couldnt see out other than looking up,

Yes she is another spoiled Ig :eek: :D

14. Mark

Mark Elite Member

My cost in materials call it $50 but I had most of it on hand so I only had to drop $30.

This cage is built of the same materials as my other indoor cages.

15. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

I still would like to know why he is not allowed to walk on the grass; why is the grass covered?

16. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Probably because he would try to escape underneath?
    Or to prevent digging or eating something he finds there...

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mark's enclosure is light weight enough that without the bottom Bob could just stick his nose under the bottom rail and lift it up and scoot off.
    Bob's a big boy!
    And just hazarding a guess but the opaque sides keep Bob from seeing anything that might spook him such as dogs, bicycles, or trucks going by.

18. Mark

Mark Elite Member

Merlin is pretty much right. This is a lawn and no where near level so there are points where he can almost just walk under the side. Also I don't have to worry about him being in the middle of the cage when I move it -- he will just slide with the cage. The bottom is also needed to help hold it together.

I did not put in the clear sides on it just because that material is a b*tch to work with. If I make another the whole thing will be made of a single piece of 5 mil tarp. I was in the store yesterday and found that it also available in camo. The bottom requires more cleaning but I just lean the cage up and hose it out.

19. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

:) Thanks for the explanation! :)

20. IggieZ.

IggieZ. Elite Member

Mark,

I really think you have a great idea here!! It not only looks good but has a really important function keeping our critters safe!!

Thanks for the info on it :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.