This Disappears When Logged In

My New Montpellier Snake "Apophis"

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Murder Serpent, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Malpolon monspessulanus (from egypt) :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This snake is one of the back-fanged colubrids which have a certain venomous capability: not usually enough to kill a human, but certainly enough to dispatch its prey (lizards, snakes or small rodents) and bad enough to inflict a good deal of pain on a person. Owing to its prey preferences it inhabits dry stony areas heavily populated by lizards, such as piles of stones on the edges of fields or near ruined buildings. When hunting it will occasionally rear up and look around, making it somewhat resemble the cobra. If it feels threatened it hisses loudly and attacks with the mouth closed. Unusually for a snake, this colubrid possesses good vision.

2. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Beautiful snake! Such pretty eyes! :)

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Very cool,,,,I don't think I've ever seen one in the pet trade. Thanks for sharing.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome. Hes a looker. :)

5. RedLocks

RedLocks Elite Member

Really neat head!! Is it full grown?

6. Montpelier snakes were common in Southern Spain when I was there some years back. I caught one that was five feet long, and it was not a happy camper! It hissed every bit as loud as a bull or gopher snake. Like others who have posted, I have never seen them in the pet trade either. In fact, yours just took me down memory lane! Nice snake!

CK

7. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

wow how pretty. and an awesome name too! :D

8. Murder Serpent

No its only 3 ft. long and should grow to 6.

Thanks for all the compliments everyone!

9. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

He really is a beautiful snake. Slightly crazy looking too. Clever naming him for the Egyptian god symbolized by snakes, too. Do you call him Apep for short? :D (Sorry. I'm a pretty big geek.)

10. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

Good looking snake, I have never seen one before

11. Murder Serpent

Thanks for noticing :) Yeah I call him Apep for short but feel that Apophis is more regal sounding for a life long name.

12. Murder Serpent

Yeah he died a couple days ago after a week of not eating :confused::mad::(

My best guess is internal parasites (he was wild caught and I haven't had much experience with medicating reptiles at all) . I keep allot of snakes and this is a first...

R.I.P.

13. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

I'm so sorry that he died :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.