This Disappears When Logged In

My New Lavendar Kingsnake

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by mues155, Feb 20, 2011.

1. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

This is my new Lavendar cal king.
    What is the techinical term for his pattern?
    DSC08337.jpg
    DSC08343.jpg
    This was the container i brought him home in.
    But the pics of him were nice anyways :)

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I have no idea what the pattern is but he is gorgeous!

3. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm not positive, but it looks a lot like this one:

Albino Banded & Striped California Kingsnake
    Lampropeltis getulus californiae

4. malphos101

malphos101 Well-Known Member

adorable!

5. KristenNC

KristenNC Elite Member

Love the pics. :D

6. RossCA

RossCA Member

It doesn't look like a lavender to me, the eyes are too light. It looks like a normal albino. Nice snake either way. I like the "Newport" pattern. Some might call that high yellow.

7. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Well they had this little devil at the petstore as a "Lavender"
    I have found pics of "Lavender Albinos"? is that just an albino anyways?
    I figured the lavendar just represented the pink-purple lavander skin color, accompanied by the yellow.
    I have another albino kingsnake adult and he looks quite different, maybe they loose that pinky color skin when they grow larger huh?
    This is a pic of "Sausage" my adult albino cali king snake.
    DSC07531.jpg

Attached Files:

8. mld

Yes it does, I just found this and the picture looks identical.
    Kingsnake & Milk Snake Photo Gallery

9. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Ok well cool then my little "Cobra" (his name) is just an albino cali king.
    Good to know. :) thanks guys

10. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Keep in mind, often the colorings will change over time.....If yours keeps the purplish background as he/she ages, then good chance it is indeed a lava Albino..from most of the research I found, the difference when they are younger is in the eye coloring..
    I did find this one website that mentions this:

T- Albino
    This is a true albino animal with a white/translucent background color and white or yellow markings and bright red or pink eyes. They are sometimes incorrectly called Lavender or Lava albinos. This is a recessively inherited trait.

T+ albino / Lavender Albino / Lava Albino / Ruby Eyed Albino
    These are the real lavenders, they have a purple back ground color with yellow or white markings. This is a recessively inherited trait. Distinguishable by there deep red eyes.

this link shows pictures of adults for both.
    California King Genetic Morphs

The link that MLD made above shows pictures of young ones looking identical to yours, and they are classified as only albino...but as stated, who knows, maybe yours indeed a lava....only time will tell I suppose.
    Either way, very nice looking snake:)

11. RossCA

RossCA Member

I could be wrong about the eyes looking too light. The best way to tell is by comparing its eyes to an albino. If its eyes are considerably darker, its a Lavender. Its hard to trust a pet store to have the name right. T- juvenile albino's are just as lavender as a T+ "lavender" albino, which can really add to the confusion. The term lavender its self has caused confusion. I prefer to call them ruby eyed lavenders or T positive lavenders. Either way, both are very cool looking morphs of Cal king.

Good info. Thanks for posting.

Attached Files:

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

That's a fine looking snake you've got there, congratulations. :)

13. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Well thanks so much guys for the info,
    So would it be better to assume hes just T- albino until he grows to adult hood and maybe his eyes will be darker if hes a T+?

14. mld

It really doesn't matter, they are just so darn cute no matter what morph they are or aren't.
    You seem to be a great parent and will love her with a title or not. She does have a beautiful lavender hue to her though:x

15. RossCA

RossCA Member

Yeah, it really doesn't matter unless you are looking for a mate to pair it up with. If its a T+ and you breed it to a T-, you'll get all normal looking offspring that will carry both genes for those two morphs.

16. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Oh ya it doesnt really matter to me what exactly he is. I still love him the same
    He was $30 at a petstore here about 4 months ago and when i saw him i fell in LOVE with him, but i was seriously broke and didnt have the money to get him... so i borrowed some money from a friend lol (i didnt want to pay the bills i wanted this snake lol) so i went back and he was sold! I almost seriously cried :(.
    So a few months later it was my birthday and my gift from matt was the little "Lavender" snake. I was SO HAPPY! After i saw the snake he went back to the petstore the next day and bought her, and had him stowed away at his sisters house for like 3 months lol. So hes very special to me :)
    He is a freak though, weve never seen a kingsnake SO keen on eating other snakes since it was bred in captivity, If i handle a snake before him, he will latch onto my fingers, thinking its food.
    We were feeding one day and we just needed to switch him out of the feeding container and there was another very small bullsnake in it already...we didnt really think any thing of it, we tossed my lavender in there and was gonna grab the bullsnake and the lav just immediatly struck the bullsnake, we had to pry that poor little bullsnake out of my snakes mouth lol it was crazy. So I named my little crazy devil "Cobra"

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Being bred in captivity really has nothing to do with dietary preferences. Thousands of years of being genetically cued to eating other snakes is not going to go away just because it was born in a tank instead of under a rock.
    At least you got the bull away from him in time!

18. mues155

mues155 Elite Member

Yes you are very right Merlin, it was just surprising to see it happen so quickly of course
    The bull was fine without a mark.

19. EVRiley

EVRiley Member

BEAUTIFUL! Absolutley stunning :) I wish I had more room for another snake!