This Disappears When Logged In

My New Girl!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by Electrophile, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electrophile

Electrophile Elite Member

Well, I stopped by the St. Louis Reptile Expo today with the intention of getting a male sunglow motley cornsnake or another rainbow boa...and I walked out with a baby female jungle carpet! She's a fiesty little one with a neat pattern towards her tail. I'll upload some pictures when I can find the USB cable for my digital camera. I had some "male" names picked out cause I wanted a male snake, but now I am not sure! A little help is appreciated! :D

-Raksha: means "the demon" (feminine) from India
    -Minerva: Roman version of the Greek goddess Athena (patron goddess of defensive war, wisdom, weaving)
    -Freya: Norse goddess of fertility and war
    -Makara: the women in Australian Aboriginal myth who were nearly raped by the man in the moon. They eventually turned into the constellation Pleiades

Of course, I had *really* wanted to get a male snake so I could call him Severus (yeah, I'm a big Harry Potter geek). But I wonder if would be too faux pas to do that now to the poor girl... :rolleyes:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Congrats on your new addition. I think I like Freya and Makara. Cant wait to see pics.

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i like Raksha and Freya. good luck with your decision. haha Severus would've been a fun name for a male snake. he'd fit in well with Slytherin. :D

4. Electrophile

I would just crack up every time I thought about calling one Severus Snake. I am so easily amused! :D I might have to give her a week during her acclimation time so I can see her temperament a bit better, but Raksha and Makara are what I'm leaning towards. I've named most of my animals after either Tolkien or Norse mythology characters, but I'm running out of good feminine names in Tolkien and a Norse name for an Australian snake seems a bit weird...

5. DarkMagician207

yea i like to wait to name my pets until i see how they act or what they're like when i handle them. :)

hehe...Severus Snake... :p

6. Electrophile

Photos!!

Here's the little girl already assuming her classic pose:

[​IMG]

I have found my bed sheets make pretty good photography backgrounds for snakes. :D

[​IMG]

My friend who went with me got his first snake. She's a ball python he named Akasha (from Anne Rice):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

They're both very pretty lookin :) Looks like the carpet shed recently huh.

8. Amber

Amber Elite Member

Woohoo Anne Rice! I have a few snakes named after her charactors! :D

Wow, I like her pattern, the ball python is cute too!

9. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

What a cutie, congratulations! The royal is a real sweetie too - we have a female royal named Acacia (which is a tree), sounds like it might be pronounced similarly.

Good luck with your little jungle, they're sweet snakes,. keep posting pics as she grows! :)

10. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

pretty, thanks for sharing

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

She looks beautiful. Congrats.
    I named my female Rainbow "Talyn" after a male character in "Farscape"... she's got the same unpredictable personality.... so if the personality fits, I don't see why you can't call your new girl Severus!
    Just my two cents.

12. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

WOW,I just recently posted a thread and asked who's got one of them,and now you're the first one who actually got one of the jungles!They are beautiful and they are on my wishlist!Congratulations!!
    By the way,I am too, a huge Harry Potter fan!! I read the new one and in October I'm buying the German version and start again.I did so with all of the books.I also got the cds and while working,I can listen to someone reading me Harry Potter,LOL! I LOVE IT!!
    Why don't you call your girl Mrs.Severus Snake? I have a corn snake called Chip and I'm starting to think that he's a she and I'm thinking of calling it Miss Chip,LOL.

13. Herpmom

Herpmom Elite Member

awww... she's soo pretty. Congrats

14. topacelot

topacelot Elite Member

wow, very beautiful

15. Electrophile

Yay! She just ate her first 17 day old mouse pup last night. Took it without much hestitation at all and looked quite pleased with herself after she got the whole thing down. Ack, I'm still not real sure. Now I'm almost leaning towards calling her Sheila since she's an Australian (thought captive bred) snake that's what they call girls down there. I dunno...I'll just have to handle her a bit in a few days and she what she's like.

16. DarkMagician207

thats good news. glad she ate. and i think Sheila is a really cute name. :)

17. Electrophile

Two more pics, just for fun...I think Sheila it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.