This Disappears When Logged In

My New Enclosure is Underway

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by fritzponds, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritzponds

fritzponds Well-Known Member

Re: My New Enclosure is Underway!

I just got them trimmed up, in the enclosure, and bolted down. I had to sand down all the little sharp edges. I think the snakes will like climbing them.

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The cage looks great!

The only animal I've ever heard of working along side snakes in a large cage is Ph. standingi, one keeper kept a adult pair in a large boa cage. You would need to provide hides that only the geckos can get into to hide during the night. As the snakes are mainly night active this may work well though caution is needed when mixing any species. Other larger diurnal geckos may work but I haven't hear of anyone whos had success other than this one case.

3. fritzponds

I think I've given up on other species. I will just hope that the snakes take to the branches. I'm installing the screen now, and the slides for the front windows are being shipped. I'm going to setup the floor of the enclosure in the next couple days.

Attached Files:

4. fritzponds

I'm a little worried about the snakes going into the branches. I'm trying to think of ways to encourage it. I was thinking of putting bird nest looking hides in the branches

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The snake will either go into the branches on its own, or it won't. These snakes have not been in the wild so a birds nest looking hide won't mean anything to them.
    Now if they were scented that is another matter.
    However I am bit concerned about the thinness of the branches. BPs are a relatively heavy bodied snake.

6. fritzponds

Here is the frame for the hood. The center section will be hinged for changing lightbulbs.

Attached Files:

7. fritzponds

I finally got the door slides and installed them. I also installed the wiring to the hood, along with the weatherstriping for the hood to keep the humidity in. The doors slide great, but were a pain to install. I'm going to finish the inside next so I can put the snakes inside!

Attached Files:

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That enclosure is definitely looking good.
    Smart idea on the sliding doors. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it that way before.
    Where did you get the track?

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

That's my concern as well. You don't want branches snapping off under their weight. I would consider chopping off the thinner ones.

10. fritzponds

I couldn't find 36" slides at any stores so I found them online. Most online were $100-200, but I found these on e-bay for $25/PAIR. It was about $85 for all 4 with shipping.

I've been thinking about the little branches now also. Most of the branches are 3/4" in diameter or more, and all the branches are screwed in at the top and bottom, but as the snakes grow I think I definitely will trim off the small branches. It would be a bad fall for them.

11. fritzponds

Made a little trip to the pet store and got the cage started so I could put the snakes inside. They love it so far. They are climbing the trees, exploring, even though I just fed both of them. One of them is even in the middle of shedding and is cruising all over the place. I was going to make a couple large hides out of slate next, but for now they seem very happy with their new digs.

Attached Files:

12. fritzponds

One more, I had to post this picture, it is so cute. My little digger.

Attached Files:

13. schlegelbagel

Glad they are using it already to its fullest potential! And BTW the branches look very stunning.

14. fritzponds

He seems to like climbing more than the other one.

Attached Files:

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My BP loves to climb, but he's not brilliant at it; which means he falls a lot. The enclosure looks fantastic: you might be able to use the height safely by building some other levels to put inside it.
    Maybe try a shelf, or ledge or wide branches that a fat BP belly can balance on?

16. fritzponds

My albino really likes the tree branches. I haven't seen the other one climb yet.

Attached Files:

17. fritzponds

Well, my other BP learned how to climb today, I was very greatful and amazed at how fast they can get down from the branches. At one point he made a ring around the branch with his tail and just slid down the branch. I think thats how he does a high speed egress out of the tree.

Attached Files:

18. schlegelbagel

Wow. I'm REALLY glad they are using the whole great enclosure. I bet they are really happy.

19. fritzponds

They seem pretty happy! I used live plants with some reservation since, in my last tank, the substrate ended up molding from water that went astray because of watering the plants. This time I put rocks in the flower pot so the water just sinks down instead of flowing off the soil and I put drain hoses on the pots which all drain to a tank beneath the cage. Eventually I want to setup a pump to water the plants, on a timer, which would just recycle water from the tank.

Attached Files:

20. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks really good. Nice work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.