This Disappears When Logged In

My new Clubtail Iggy! :)

Discussion in 'Ctenosaura - Spiny Tail Iguana' started by Koiscale451, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koiscale451

Koiscale451 Member

This is my new clubtail iguana, I got him (or her) on June 9th, 07. I have been feeding him crickets and I found out that he does not like superworms, as he totaly ignores them. I heard they eat leafy greens and veggies? Mine likes pansies but can anyone tell me specificaly what plants I can give him to eat?
    Does he look healthy?
    [​IMG]

Thanks.
    PS- His name is Abraxas

2. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Looks great!

Feed him mostly green ig salad and some bugs every now and then. The staple food should be dark, leafy greens and some veggies.

Good luck with him.

3. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

What a cutie! Thanks for sharing. :)

4. rick1iam

rick1iam Subscribed User Premium Member

I am not familiar withh this ig. Some bugs are good for it?

5. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Apparently that's a matter of debate. I have heard that the "non-green" species (cyclura and ctenosaura) can consume insects as part of their diet, but I have also heard that ALL iguanas should NEVER be fed animal protein in any form.

I've heard both statements by very learned people who work in the field. My personal opinion is this: if an iguana can be fed a nutritionally sound diet without using animal protein, why take the risk. After all, we're still in the discovery process with all iguanas, especially the ctenosaura species.

6. Koiscale451

Koiscale451 Member

Thanks for the info, he actually eats more crickets than greenfood, but hes started eating more of the pansies and dandilions lately, so maybe hes just warming up to a new diet. (the lady I bought him from did not know what he was feeding on) Once he starts eating more of his veggies i'll get a diet plan started. Heres what I was thinking it would be-
    Monday-Dandilions, Pansies
    Tuesday-Clover, Collard greens, Carrots *fruit*
    Wednesday-**Squash**(if available) dandilions, clover
    Thursday-Collard greens, pansies, mustard greens *fruit*
    Friday-Kale, basil, johnny jump-ups
    Saturday-Endive, clover, dandilion greens
    Sunday-Pansies, clover, collard greens *fruit*
    **Every 3 days-Calcium powder

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Im gonna have to agree with Steph on this one about the diet of greens only as your safest bet. Hes a cutie! Congrats and good luck with him!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.