This Disappears When Logged In

My New Burmese Python

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by medusa1974, Feb 10, 2013.

1. medusa1974

medusa1974 Well-Known Member

I'm new to the site but any advice/help would be great. I just bought a new burmese and she is beautiful and when I bought her from the private owner she was a sweetheart. When I got her home warmed her up a bit and put her in her enclosure(72x36x36) she was great until a few hours later. When I went to get her out she is hissing and in no way happy about coming out. Anyone had this problem. I have another burmese who is a sweetheart I have never had a snake turn upset like this. My Retic is a rescue and she has always been testy but her temperament is pretty predictable. ANY IDEAS OR COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

2. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

What is her current setup? have pictures of her and her setup to share?
    Did you buy her from another owner? pet store? breeder? is she a rescue? whats her history?
    How old is she? How long? weight?
    Was there any problems you noticed before this? wheezing? unusual markings on her scales/body?
    When was the last time she ate?
    Has she been to the vet?

There are numerous questions that could and probably should be asked. I'm not going to pretend I know anything about burms, but I will help get as much of the information the real experts need to answer your questions.

3. medusa1974

I bought her from a private owner locally, he told me the only time she was temperamental was right after feeding which is to be expected. She is maybe a year old, 6+feet long and at least 20 to 30 lbs. I checked her for mites and any other noticeable problems and like I said she was a sweety when she was a little cool. She ate a couple days ago as far as the last owner told me. She seems in perfect health she just got all temperamental when I pulled her out of her enclosure she calms right down but she is doing the hissing thing and getting upset every time I even touch her in her enclosure. I am being persistent taking her out every hour or so and handling her for a half hour to an hour

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Don't get her out. Leave her alone for a while. Like 2 - 3 weeks while. Don't hold her, don't feed her, nothing. Clean water and go. She needs adjustment time. Every hour or so is overkill. Your irritating the **** out of her. I would be mad too.

Also if she's only 6 ft and is 20 to 30 pounds she's obese. My burm is 14 ft and 50 pounds which I've recently learned by a vet is decent weight for the size.

5. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Hold up, are we all talking about the same "pound"? someone here might be meaning kilograms.....

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

It says lbs afterwards. So pounds unless I'm wrong. Way overweight. You could probably not feed for a year and be perfectly fine. I wouldn't feed for at least 6 wks. Obesity is horrible in snakes.

Please let her adjust for a few wks before holding her. You getting her out ever hour for 30-60 minutes is the cause of your problems.

7. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

I agree with T johnson, she is very knowledgable on the big snakes. I had my boa for almost a year (most loveable guy ever! ) recently moved him to a new larger cage and he actually bit my wife when she reached in his cage. Thats was about a month ago, but now he is starting to calm back down to his lovable old self. He has had very little handling during that time.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thank you norwegn. It's took a long hard road to get there though. Many mistakes along the way. Lol.

9. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

TJOHNSON722 and norwegn113 have a good point, on a new snake it is always best to wait to handle them I would have realized this last night if I hadn't been replying to you while half asleep lol. Very rarely do they like to be handled during the adjustment period. I forget that Thor (My ball) is a bit of an enigma, since the day I got him he will crawl up my arm and around my neck every time I go into his tank to change his water, clean his tank or adjust his thermos (he likes to move them) and seems to get irritated whenever I put him back into his tank lol. He prefers to hang out around my neck, will do it all day if I let him. Unfortunately my landlady controls my heating and keeps it at 72 all winter. Only way I can is through box heaters and I use them seldom as they dry out the air and jack my electric bill, so I don't allow him to hang on me for more than 30 minutes at a time.

10. medusa1974

She seems to be way calmer today. I called and spoke to the past owner who let me know he neglected to tell me she has always been a little hissy but has never struck or bit him. As far as her weight 20 to 30 lbs was a complete brain fart she is about 12 to 13 lbs she is a bit chunky but not really obese by any means. I understand not handling her for awhile but I needed to take her out constantly because she kept knocking over her water tub and spilling water all over my floor but I took care of that issue today by velcroing her tub down.

11. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Sometimes I wonder if they do that just so we take them out lol

12. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You could also put a LG rock in it. I have kitty litter tubs with rocks in them. It works. Lol. I have one who will knock it over within 5 seconds without something holding it down.

13. medusa1974

I think she was doing it on purpose. She gave me a bit of a scare when I first opened her enclosure this morning to fix her water tub. I made sure she knew I was there before opening the front and she just laid there calm as can be but as soon as I lifted the plexiglass up she bolted out. She went out the door of my herp room and down the hall. I forgot how **** fast they can be when they want to. But as soon as I caught her she never hissed and ended up hanging out on my neck the entire time I fixed and cleaned her enclosure. I think she will be great once she has time to acclimate.

14. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Mine try to get out daily. I think they sense my daughters cat lol.

15. medusa1974

Well Delilah is back to her temperamental self. She wont even let me walk into the room without striking at the front of her enclosure. I am taking her in for a vet check on Thursday IF SHE WILL LET ME. I sanitized and cleaned the entire room just in case my wifes cats had gotten into the room, to no avail I sure hope she makes up her mind if she is gonna be temperamental or calm so I know what to expect. Any ideas why she might be changing temperament every day. I haven't touched her or even gotten close to her enclosure but she is still going nuts.

16. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Not really. It could be a number of things though. We kicked my cat outside bc she kept peeing on stuff for spite. Since then all my snakes have been as happy as can be. Even my ball pythons aren't hiding anymore. Wierd. My cat was evil though and tempted fate a lot.

Anyway, no real 100% reason. Vet is a good idea either way if she will let you lol. Patience is all I can honestly offer as advice.

17. medusa1974

Thank you to all of you that added your input on Delilah. She went to the vet and I got alot of good info from them and you. My vet said she is just territorial which actually makes alot of sense. She is doing great and other than being a pain in the *** to get out of her enclosure once she is out she is an amazing snake. She actually likes hanging out with my young red tail boa of all things, when they are both out they are inseparable. So thank you I will attempt again to get some photos of her as soon as I figure out why my camera and computer wont communicate with each other.

18. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Yeah I know all about the pictures. Try using Photobucket or Flickr and then direct copy them in a post.

She's cage aggressive if she's only mean in her enclosure. Patience and a lot of work. Get a handle on it now before he is huge though. Or try.

19. medusa1974

20. Circe

Circe Member

She's such a gorgeous baby! Definitely a compliment to her family. :)