This Disappears When Logged In

My New Baby

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by iwuvmyleo, Feb 24, 2013.

1. iwuvmyleo

iwuvmyleo Well-Known Member

I just got home from the Midwest reptile show and I got a pink toed baby tarantula. I'm so excited. I just wanna know...how much will it suck if it bites one day?? Like when it is grown. And how do I keep it from escaping when i open the enclosure to feed??

2. Scales17

Scales17 Active Member

These arachnids are arboreal and, unlike most other tarantula species, tend to jump. They require humid, hot conditions. The eating habits of pink-toed tarantulas are similar to those of other tarantula species: they consume large insects, as well as small animals such as reptiles and rodents. Tree frogs may also become the prey of the pink-toed tarantula.

Known as the clown of tarantulas, pink-toed tarantulas are docile and only bite when provoked. Prior to biting, they exhibit warning postures and use urticating hairs along their abdomens to deter attackers. Unlike other tarantula species, pink-toed tarantulas are not able to release these urticating hairs and must instead make direct contact with predators. They have been recorded projecting fecal matter at enemies as another way to drive attackers away.
    - See more at: Pink Toed Tarantula

So I don't think you really have to worry much about him biting you ! and as far as the jumping out while trying to feed, what are you housing him in right now ? If its to small, and he doesn't have any where to climb he may be stressed.

3. iwuvmyleo

iwuvmyleo Well-Known Member

The breeder gave me a real small enclosure and told me to switch it when its about a third of the diameter of the enclosure.