This Disappears When Logged In

My MVB kicks butt

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by replover, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok I must say that even only after a few days, (and a few days worrying if it would work), my rep pro sbmvb has caused an obvious change in my ig. He's now eating tons, lots of appetite. He's shedding like mad, and he has grown visibly thicker from the increased appetite. He is now pooping twice a day as vs. once as he used to.

He does have a problem though that he would only eat stuff that was on his basking platform. I tried to two days to put his food downstairs and he didn't touch it at all, all day. Dunno why he's so lazy. Well, maybe not lazy because he climbs the cage all day, swinging and climbing and jumping, but just ignores any food that isn't on his basking platform.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I would advise you leaving the food on the bottom. YOU are the boss. YOU depict where he will eat.

He may go a few days without eating to "show" you he is control, but he WILL go down when he is hungry enough. He will have no control over that.

I say move the dish to the bottom and wait him out. He will not starve himself. It is against animal instinct.

Glad to hear the new light is doing its job. The higher UV output tends to do that in a lot of reptiles!

3. replover

replover Elite Member

Currently there is no dish. I've been leaving his food here and there around the cage, so he can "Forage" as he does in the wild.

Actually is there a point to not feeding on the basking platform if he is running around and getting exercise? Sure, the food gets dried up there under the lights, but then I remove it with a sweep and its fine. The lower parts of my cage are really damp, as the humidifier is there. But when I put the food there, after a few hours, it is wet with water droplets but it all droops and gets all icky and smeary. Especially the mustard greens which start to smell after a few hours down there. This is especially true when I added repcal pellets it just becomes a paste.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

There really is no set place to feed an iguana. In most setups, the bottom of the enclosure is the coolest and the greens last longer there before they start wilting. If they do better for you up top, by all means keep them there. "D

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would also suggest getting a bowl and letting him learn to feed out of it. This will be much better in regard to keeping the cage clean. It will also let you know how much the ig is eating or if it is not eating. I too would suggest feeding in the bottom of the cage. Once you get the iguana on a schedule it will pretty much go down and eat as soon as you put the bowl in. Then you will learn how much to feed each day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.