This Disappears When Logged In

My Maters Are Here!!!!! PICTURES!!!!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by Kazooguyz2, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Just had to let everyone know that I picked up my 3 Tomato frog babies!! There are Dyscophus insularis. Assuming wild caught but not exactly sure. Will try to contact actual vendor to find out. Hoping I have, at least, 1 male and 1 female to POSSIBLY start some captive breeding down the road. :confused: Still have a couple of doodads :) to pick up but for now, I think I have everything. Here are some pictures!!! Some quick specs: 10gal tank, 2 to 3 inches eco-earth, full spectrum day bulb, moon glo heat night bulb, lots of fake plants, & a flukers thermo/hygro unit (temp: 77.4 humid: 68%) covering the screen top with a towel (til I get some plexi cut to fit). They are about the size of a quarter, dull orange/yellow yet VERY active. The saucer is about 5" across but I have less than 1/2" water in it. I picked up some small crickets, which I will calci-dust before each feeding. Would like to provide some sort of variety in diet until they get bigger. Any ideas??? Was thinking red wigglers, or something my step-dad uses when he goes fishing called "mousies"?? (kinda look like some sort of maggot with a tail) I am so excited to watch them grow and turn bright red/orange!! Names have not been set in stone yet but was thinking Tom, Mater, & Roma!! Or I'll rummage through 'Eragon' , 'Eldest' & 'Brisingr' for ideas (homage to Dragoness) :) Hope you all enjoy the pics!! I'll work on getting better ones as they grow!!!

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Their reds will come out as they get older. :)

They look good. Some maters are wild caught babies, others are captive bred. As for diet, red wigglers, then eventually earth worms. You will be surprised what they can pack away!

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Sooo Coool!! Congrats! I love the set up! I read that you could feed them mealies too. I will have worms in the spring for you. I think Roma is the best name!!

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Very cute maters!:)

5. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Orik, Brom, Oromis, Morzan, Thorn, Arya, umm, plenty more... Not sure what you have already used though

6. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Another Eragon fan!!! HURRAY!!!! Have only used Brom from that list so far. Thanks for the suggestions!!

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I read "brom" and thought plant. Show's you how much I didn't understand that one!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

name one thorn - he's red.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chuckling!
    Not quite sure I would use the mousies! I did a quick search for them and found Naturespeak » Blog Archive » Mousies Ain’t Mice
    They are a maggot that is laid in sewer water! Since they are used as bait not quite sure how sanitary that they would be.

10. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

On to a different idea then....

11. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

very cool little critters

12. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

My male Leo is "Thorn." I think Prego, Barilla, and Roma. Early (as in Early Girl maters) Better Boy, Brandywine, Krim...Wow! There is a huge variety of tomatoes and products huh? This is fun! Can you tell them apart yet?

13. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

One is slightly darker than the rest but other than that, no.

14. venus

venus Founding Member

They are adorable!!

15. Kazooguyz2

Kazooguyz2 Elite Member

Thank you all!! I think (hoping I did it right) I finally managed to upload pics of all my frogs and such. I created an album in my public profile. (I hope) Please check it out and let me know what you all think!! :)

16. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep, your pictures are posted and you have adorable critters! What is Gaedr? (I'm sure I spelled it wrong - and I don't feel like opening my book to check it, but I love the series)

I can't believe how cute and tiny your mater's are -- they are just darling!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.