This Disappears When Logged In

My Leo's Stomach Has a Blue Spot, Help!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Alby, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Hi all. I'm really worried about my little two month old leo. His stomach has developed an area that looks blue, almost bruised. I know leo's can bruise, and he does have very fair skin on his belly, but I also know a blue stomach can be a sign of a very serious problem. I'm contacting the vet tomorrow once they're open but I was wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before and had any advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pioggia

Pioggia Well-Known Member

My Macchio and Pioggia both had those spots when dealing with parasites. Sorry Neve never had parasites... Wrong gecko name.

3. kaianuanu

kaianuanu Elite Member

Well, it seems you are on the right path to his recovery. Good job of being aware of your gecko's healthy state and any changes

4. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Well I hope its not a parasite. Wouldn't he be showing other symptoms? He had been completely normal until yesterday when he wouldn't eat and hid in his warm hide all night. Then I noticed the spot today and he wouldn't eat again.

5. alicia123

alicia123 Elite Member

Good call contacting a vet! Loss of appetite could be a symptom of parasites.

6. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

7. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Juveniles also can have a dark spot that is just the inside you are seeing. Not always will it be a problem, they just have not gained enough weight yet to cover up the spot yet. I would still see the vet to be absolutely sure what you are seeing! :)

8. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Thanks guys. He's booked in to see the vet on Thursday, which was the earliest she was available. I just want to be 100% sure nothing is wrong with my little guy.

9. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Even if everything is right, vets are always a good stop with a new Leo!! Let us know how it goes!

10. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Well we're back home from the vet. I'm very happy to say Toothless has been given a clean bill of health for the time being. We're still waiting for the results of the parasite test but the vet says that the spot was likely his spleen being pushed closer to the skin from stomach expansion. She was also amazed at his bone strength and feistiness given his rather sad early days. :) Thanks everyone for the support!

As an interesting side note... if anyone ever has to take a leo to the vet and its -30 degrees Celsius, putting one of those thermacare back heating things from the drug store in the bottom of the traveling tank goes a long way in keeping them warm. :p

11. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

This is very good to hear......keeping fingers crossed for the final results on the parasites.. (just curious, is your vet a smaller facility in which they send out for lab work??)

12. mld

Glad to hear Toothless got a clean bill of health! Keep us updated with the results of the lab results.

13. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Yes unfortunately they have to send out for results. Since its so cold and dry in this city for most of the year there isn't as much of a demand for reptile vets with not as many people able to maintain them. There aren't any specialty clinics and most of the reptile vets are part of the smaller locations.

14. mld

Where are you located in Canada?

15. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Edmonton, AB. I checked the Canadian reptile vet listings but they need to be updated because the first clinic on the list I called said they didn't have anyone there anymore. The woman I saw today was good but a little rough for my liking. My little guy gave her a nice little bite to tell her he didn't want to be held with his belly facing up.

16. Pioggia

I had to hold Neve so that the vet could do anything to her. She bit the vet, yelled at her, and wouldn't hold still.

17. mld

It must be so scary for them, new place, cold, poking and prodding!

18. Alby

Alby Elite Member

Yeah I don't think any of us actually enjoy getting a check up. My little guy climbed up onto my neck and hid under my hair after he jumped away from her.

19. Pioggia

My vet is actually really good and will keep her hands on hand warmers so that her hands aren't cold, warms up anything she's gonna be using on them. And the office gives you a small warmer for them if you don't have one yourself [which we always do.] Neve is just tempermental and doesn't like to be handled by anyone but my or the fiance.

20. Medium

Medium Elite Member

Good news...it is very common to see a dark patch on a Juvenal!