This Disappears When Logged In

My Leopard Gecko's Dont Like Being Handled!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by BAKER25UK, Oct 6, 2011.

1. BAKER25UK

BAKER25UK Member

Hi,

I have 3 leo's, 1 male and 2 females ive had the male for around 6 months he is an adult now, around 8 inches in length. The females ive had around 2 months they are around 5-6 inches. I handle the gecko's daily but all of them still seem to be skittish and try to run away whenever ive got them out of the viv!! Is there any tips that anyone could share with me on how to get them tame???

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hopefully you are not keeping the male with the females!

Basically, patience is the best thing, they may not have been handled a lot from the breeder, so you may have to gain their trust. Do your simple daily things like cleaning the poop, changing the water and feeding. Eventually they will learn that you are not trying to hurt them, I would leave them alone and don't force them out of their hides.
    Here is a caresheet;
    Leopard Gecko Care Guide (Eublepharis macularius)

Here is cute little video;
    Small lizard taming vid - Lizard Videos

3. BAKER25UK

BAKER25UK Member

Hi, thanks for the reply!! I am keeping them all together as i read that this was fine i was also advised by the breeder that this would be ok. They appear to get along fine and i often find them all in the same hide cuddled up together. Hopefully patience is the answer as i love handling them and letting them spend time out of the viv, although im now very careful as i took my eye off the male once and he went missing in my house for a month which was a worry, but he returned safe and well!!!!! Thanks for the caresheet thats very helpfull and the video is nice to!!!

4. BAKER25UK

BAKER25UK Member

Also what are you like at identifying different morphs coz i have no idea what mine are and would really like to know?? i have pics of them in an album in my profile!!

5. mld

I'm not very good at that but they look like normals to me, I could be mistaken though! I'm sure that another member will be by to help with the morph thing!

6. backwoodsgecko

backwoodsgecko Elite Member

Lucky is an SHTCTB and the other 2 are normals with high yellow coloring. The breeder you mentioned gave you false information! The presence of a male in the enclosure will stimulate your females who are much to young to breed to produce eggs early. This puts the females at great risk of egg binding.

7. mld

Thanks

8. BAKER25UK

BAKER25UK Member

Hi, thanks for your reply. i will put the females in another viv as i have a spare one. What age would it be ok to put them back in the same viv? And what does SHTCTB mean??

9. mld

Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy