This Disappears When Logged In

My Leopard Gecko is Acting Blind??!!

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by luvmygeico, Jan 27, 2010.

1. luvmygeico

luvmygeico New Member

I have an albino leopard gecko who is going on two years old. He's always had horrible aim when feeding (crickets), but we did realize when we closed the curtains, he got slightly better. During his previous feeding, he barely ate, it took him all week to eat 15 crickets, when that usually takes him 1-3 days tops. My fiance just fed him again today and noticed that, not only is his aim worse than normal, he's acting like he's finding them with his nose instead of his eyes. He doesn't seem to go after crickets until he taps them with his nose, and even then, he sometimes can't catch them. We did just move about two to three weeks ago, so he could be getting used to his new location. It doesn't seem like his new spot is brighter or anything, ether way, he normally stays in his little cave the majority of the day, anyway. We are not using any lamps, just one of those eating pads under the tank and a heating rock. We do take him out a lot, but I really don't think we're exposing him to too much light or anything. A few months back he was acting really drunk, and couldn't stay on his feet really well, and got the advice from a vet to wipe him down with a wet cloth, to get rid of skin parasites or something. Since then, we give him a full bath every two weeks or so, and that seems to help him a lot. The bath thing doesn't seem to help this issue. I'm worried if he keeps on like this, he's going to start losing a lot of weight. Right now, he's at a healthy weight. We are trying to spray him down a little more often to see if the extra moisture in the tank helps, but if anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it. I'm so worried about him.

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temperatures in his enclosure, the enclosure size, how many hides does he have and where are they located in the enclosure, etc.
    Basically give us a complete rundown on how he is being housed.

Do you have a moist hide in with him? Ditch the heat rock, that is not safe at all. What type of substrate are you using?

These are all questions that everyone is going to want answered to help steer you in the right direction.

3. luvmygeico

luvmygeico New Member

He has a 10 gallon tank. The thermometer (which is a crappy cheap one we should probably replace) stays in the upper 70s low 80s, but that's pretty far from his heat sources. We have the reptile tank carpet that petco sells as his substrate. He currently only has one hide (a little rock cave), we used to have a foam log cave, but he had a bad eye reaction to it, so we took that out. When we first got him, we tried to put in the moist moss stuff in part of the hide, but he wouldn't go inside until we took it out, so we just spray inside the tank to keep the humidity up (although we've probably been too lax on that lately because we are busy unpacking from moving). I guess we can try the moist hide thing again now that he's a little older, if you think we should. We used to have a gatorade cap full of calcium, but we've started shaking the crickets in the calcium because he was acting like he can see the white, calcium covered crickets better than he can see the normal crickets. We have a regular small rock in there he likes to climb on sometimes and a shallow water dish...and the heating rock. That's it. I did read before to keep an eye on him with the heating rock to make sure he doesn't get burned, but he seems to be ok in the very few occasions that he's used it...which is usually when he's gotten cold from being outside the tank. His skin didn't look red or anything...but if you think I should take it out, I will.
    He has been sleeping a lot lately too, which I just equated to the time of year and weather...hibernation mode or something. Should that also be something I should be worried about?

4. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Even with dusting the crickets you still need to have a calcium dish in there with the gecko!

5. luvmygeico

luvmygeico New Member

Does this explain why he's acting like he can't see?

6. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I know that Albino leopard geckos often have more sensitive eyes than normal leopard geckos, but he could actually be blind. You could feed him meal worms since they don't hop away!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From what you have posted it seems that you have a few issues. First ditch the heat rock! Gawd-awful things and very dangerous!

They are nocturnal and sleep during the day becoming active at night. If you are keeping him out all day it is stressfull to him.
    Find another vet. In the event of mites, a wet rag is not going to get rid of them!

As for keeping the humidity up. Geckos are from arid climates and would not be exposed to constant high humidity.
    You MUST get a decent thermometer. You cannot guess at temperatures and if the temperatures are not adequate the gecko cannot function properly. A few degrees can make all the difference in the world!
    Go to the hardware store and get a good digital thermometer.

8. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Good advice from all. I had this very problem a while back with my leo. But mine isn't an albino. I got a 20 gal. long cage, and the UTH wasn't working correctly. My temps were off. My 10 gal. cage just didn't cut it. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

9. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Mine kinda acts kinda blind but just be patient with him and hand feed maybe

10. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

Not to jack this thread away from luvmygeico, but is it just a calcium dish or vitamin? Or mixture of both of both? The reason I ask is that my daughter got one today and I thought I read somewhere about having a vitamin dish in the tank. Just want to make sure.

11. Merlin

Just straight pure calcium without D3.

12. Dragoneer

Dragoneer Well-Known Member

Merlin. What happens if it has D3? I have a jar of the RepCal with D3 for dusting my Beardie crickets. Do I need to purchase a non-D3 calcium powder?

13. Merlin

D3 in too large of a quantity is dangerous. It is fine for your bug dusting but the calcium lick needs just straight calcium.

14. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

For some reason my petstore only carries calcium with d3 so ill have to order....

15. Merlin

You can also use pure calcium tablets from the vitamin section of the drugstore. You just have to crush them up.

16. Midori

Midori Elite Member

What does the D3 do if they get to much?

Also knowing that I can crush up a tab is really nice to know because I've the same problem no one carries the stuff without the d3 here either.

17. Merlin

Too much of any vitamin can be harmful or even toxic. Thats why we caution people against overdoing it on the supplement.

18. Penelope

Penelope Well-Known Member

My baby Albino Leo (3" long) just started doing this too. She feels it walk on her leg and moves to smell it. If it stays motionless, she bumps it with her nose then tries - and misses - to eat it. I have had to pull the back legs off the cricket (which is easier after dusting with cal) and plopping it down in front of her - then she eats it. Are they really going blind or could it be a calcium/vit deficiency? Or maybe she is just lazy and likes being fed- hahaha.

19. herphugs

herphugs Member

He probably needs more hides. I recommend a moist hide with either vermiculite (I prefer) or some sort of moss. Keep it fairly moist and you'll find your gecko spending tons of time in there.
    My male crested gecko had some trouble with his eyes for a while. He had started losing weight like crazy and I realized that his pupils didn't change with light... Have you tried shining a light in his eyes?
    I basically had to nurse my little guy back to health by tweezer feeding him for several weeks and putting saline solution in his eyes (he actually had some sort of infection in one eye)
    hope this helps,
    good luck with your little guy!