This Disappears When Logged In

My Large Tiger Reticulated Python

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by boaterr, Dec 2, 2009.

1. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

Pretty much self explantatory

IMGA0592.jpg
    IMGA0612.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Wow, she is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Very nice! You have some great looking snakes.

4. boaterr

Thank you.

5. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Nothing beats a retic - nothing!!! This one is lovely!

6. parishkl

parishkl Active Member

OMG, how long is she? That's crazy! Gorgeous snake though.

7. boaterr

Around 14-15 feet and 83 pounds the last time she was weighed.

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

She is beautiful! Have you had her since she was small?

9. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

she is gorgeous i cant wait till mine gets that big and i love the pattern. mine is only het for tiger so i am thinking about breeding her when she is mature enough

10. boaterr

yes
    With so many of these giant snakes on the market and not enough capable owners it is pointless to add more to this huge mess unless you where going to keep the babies or could provide them with a GOOD home somewhere else. The likely ban of Python Reticulatus will make the breeding of the species of python even more useless.

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I agree TOTALLY. Very few people have what it takes to manage one of these snakes, much less (how many do they average in a clutch?) You might get stuck with a TON of unwanted babies, and no place to responsibly place them.

12. boaterr

anywhere from 20-52 eggs, depending on the size and age of the female.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's one idea. If you ask me (and this is just my opinion - everybody is entitled to one) I would rather see the eggs frozen than the offspring neglected or poorly cared for, and eventually having to be euthanized or put to death at the hands of an inexperienced or incapable person who might botch the job and cause a lot of suffering.

14. boaterr

I have never thought about freezeing eggs. Killing snakes so that I can have a conveniant number of offspring strikes me as inhumane and turns these animals into things as disposeable as a deck of cards. I plan to breed my Green Anacondas in the future, but I will not have them breed until I can decide what to do with the rest of the clutch since I would only want to keep around 7-8 of the babies.

15. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

well i just know a lot of people give advise on humanely aborting the eggs of unplanned or unwanted mating of reptiles, so i always wondered if limiting the size of wanted clutches was a common practice. After all some have upwards of 50 eggs and that is a lot of babies to find home for, even for well known breeders i would think it would be hard to find 50+ homes for one type of large snake.

16. boaterr

I work exclusively with large snakes so I am not fluent in other reptile breeding procedures, I really do not see how a reptile in captivity can have an unplanned pregnancy unless the reptile is a new arrival or the owner was cohabitating his/her animals. I never said it was hard to sell a clutch of giants snakes, people will pay top dollar for nice looking Retics or Green Anacondas that are produced by people like Kelly Haler and Ben Renick. However, finding owners that are actually experienced enough to keep these specialized animals well into adulthood is another manner.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Its mostly people co-habitating animals and not thinking about breeding. Or one managed to get in the others tank.

18. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Not being particularly optimistic regarding the honesty of humanity in general, I would say that perhaps one out of ten people who purchase a baby giant snake is actually responsible, capable and principled enough to ensure the long, healthy and comfortable lifetime of that snake. Breeders have a big responsibility when selling/giving away their baby giants.

I think that now, more and more, breeders are becoming more responsible and aware of the need for careful selectivity of the human beings who come to them to buy a baby giant. I don't think that anyone should own a giant snake without being of a certain age and maturity, and having proven to the satisfaction of the breeder that he/she is going to be able to properly care for and maintain that snake. A common story is when young people pursuade their parents to buy a creature for them, which later proves to be "too much to handle" and becomes a problem needing to be "disposed of".

Buying baby giant snakes is kind of like when people buy baby green iguanas for their kids.....so adorable, so cute - until they start getting big: different story, which often ends in grief all round.

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Exactly!
    Exactly again! The number of people in any given area who are capable of properly housing and caring for a snake of this type is EXTREMELY limited. Sure the babies may go like hotcakes. I see people at expos buying them up. However, listening to the new owners talk, I have also come to have a very poor opinion on the survival chances of most of the babies.

20. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Boaterr it is truly refreshing to hear someone with retic experience advocate the fact that VERY few people have the resources and abilities to handle these beautiful giants. I myself would love to have one- but I know I do not have the space OR the money not to mention experience to keep a retic. Maybe someday I can get a dwarf but that will be for a day well into the future.