This Disappears When Logged In

My House!

Discussion in 'Member Photos' started by Dragoness, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I moved into it about a month ago, and things are finally settled enough I could take some pictures. This is my first house, so I'm more than a little excited.

Attached Files:

2. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Well worth the wait! I am itching to put in a humongous flower bed~ look at all of the YARD!

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Great looking place Jen! Now you have more room for LOTS more snakes!!! ;) :p

4. Flint

Flint Elite Member

That is GORGEOUS!!! Congratulations!!!

*sits and waits for pics of the herp room :-" *

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congrats on getting into your new home, finally you can relax, well hopefully;)

What a gorgeous looking home and I love all that land! I'm thinking perennial beds, a horse, an alpaca perhaps! Looks like paradise.

Like Zach said herp room pictures:)

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yay!!!!!!!

7. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Beautiful house! Congrats!

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I need to put in a huge bed of something, because the electric lawn mower we have loses it's charge about 2/3 of the way through. Maybe I can plant enough stuff, that it will cut down on how much mowing needs done.

Unfortunately, I am right in the village here, and zoning won't permit so much as chickens! So no outdoor livestock for me, though I will be building outdoor basking cages for my reptiles for use during the warmer months.

My reptile room is actually small - perhaps smaller than it was before. But I can use more than just that room. I don't know how I went form cram packed 600sq.ft. apartment, to 1600 sq. ft. house, and still have it pretty well filled (I'll have to make more space to work with...) I still have a whole garage full of stuff that isn't mine, that's getting picked up next weekend. Once that is gone, I am free to move some of my junk into the garage, and free up room in the house for future acquisitions!

For now though, here are pics of the reptile room. It has 2 windows which were sealed up with those insulated window kit, and then boarded. As a result, the temperature in there is phenominally stable - always 72-74ºF. Of course, we will see what temps do when winter hits...

Also, my commute to work on foot takes 4 minutes - I only drive my car once every week or two for groceries. I probably only put gas in it once a month. There is a farmers market even closer to my house than work, and the bank, bakery, grocery, hardware, etc, are all less than 2 miles away.

The house was built in 1890. It's a little piece of history.

There is a car show here every week, and they are very pet friendly - the coordinators asked me if I would bring snakes to the event, which will be a great way for me to hand out business cards once I get my animal education thing going. Also a good way to do community outreach with people. My female BP "Sinthia" used to make regular appearances at that show by request before, and a lot of people remember it, and tell me "I'm deathly afraid of every snake but yours - she's the only one I will touch." A lot of nervous people have at least taken the edge off their phobias with Sinthia - it's very rewarding!

I have a lot going for me right now - after all the rough roads leading up to this, it's finally paying off, and life is quite nearly perfect nowadays.

Attached Files:

9. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

You may need to get some herbs growing, along with your perennial bed, and a bee hive or two. I have an orange mint and a chocolate mint that I can give you starts from, some common sundrops, and a few others. Next spring we will have to get together for delivery.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Definitely putting in an herb garden next spring, The back corner of my yard has a terraced space that looks like it was once an herb garden (Poison ivy is an herb, right?) There is a box elder tree I will have to murder, and several bushes that will need to be mutilated, because the area is a little overgrown.

I want sage for sure, and the mint owuld be nice, because I can use it to cook with as well. We already have catnip everywhere. Lavendar, Echinacea, Achillea, Thyme, Lemon Verbena, and a few others are on my list.

Would be nice to get Purple pitchers growing in my backyard, because they are native. Would have to make a bog to do it (who would notoice a couple more mosquitoes?)

The previous owners of this house were nuts for Hostas - so I have about 200 of them, and they draw ants like crazy (hummingbirds too) so I'm getting rid of a few of them, and trading them out for ferns (My brother has a surplus of ferns, and a deficit of Hostas, so we are trading off.)

If you want some Hostas next spring, let me know!

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Sounds like alot of fun, right up my alley!

Its great to trade off plants, as much as I love my Hostas, its always nice to have a mixture of textures, variety of ferns are great for that as well as Astilbe, Coral Bells, so many great things.

Have fun Gals!

12. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations:) So glad you are getting settled into your new home...I know how excited you must be....nothing beats the feel of owning your very own house and lawn.

Really looking forward to the pictures of when you start on your outside basking areas.....building some for my own backyard has been on my "to do" list for quite some time....as of now, we are just using those large "cat cages/pens", but really want to build something more permanent.

Again, Congratulations

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

It's a little late to start them now, with the weather just starting to cool and way too many projects on my list that are more immediate.

I have plans to build a 4x4x2 box out of plastic composite boards, with a hinged, locking hardware cloth (or preferably epoxy coated steel mesh) lid. It would have drainage holes and everything so it would be easy to clean if someone defecated in it. And shade areas, hides, and water dishes, the works. That one is going to be low and wide, I may also build a taller one for arboreal lizards, with climbing branches in it. Projects for next spring (or to keep me busy during the winter, so I can be ready for spring.)