This Disappears When Logged In

My Hog STILL Hasnt Eaten After 9 Weeks????

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by jezabella1982, May 2, 2011.

1. jezabella1982

jezabella1982 Well-Known Member

well, my hog still hasnt eaten.....its been 9 weeks since i got him. i try and feed him once a week, and he still has no interest in the f/t. hes one year old and the breeder "SAID" he has eaten f/t before, but honestly, i think he lied. this snake looks at the f/t mouse like he has NO idea what to do with it.

i bought him a new showcase cage, which has helped with humidity and privacy....i moved him to the other side of the living room thinking it would be more out of the way.
    (temps 90-95 on the hot side , and around 80 on the cool...)

i have brained the mouse, i dip it in hot water, i put it under a heat lamp, i wiggle it with hemostats, i close the tupperware feeding box with him in it and leave him with the mouse for a period of time....i have cried, me and my boyfriend fight, and we both get majorly frustrated. Feeding day SUCKS for everyone involved and we DREAD IT.

uhhh....people keep telling me to feed live, which makes me mad, because they know i absolutly will not.

Also, i noticed his eyes were blueish today...im guessing hes getting ready to shed....which i guess means he wont eat for another week, and im going away and wont be home the following week......

im at my witts end(or whatever they say). i dont know WHYYYY this **** thing wont eat!!!!! What am i doing wrong?? ??

2. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Have you tried feeding in the enclosure? Maybe the stress of moving into a feeding bin is causing him to feel insecure.
    Just a thought.

Is he drinking and otherwise acting normal?
    Have you been tracking weight to see if he is losing weight, ie weighing him on a gram scale.
    Have you tried fresh killed, or rat vs mouse?

3. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

Yeah there are some snakes that just get too stressed when moved to a feeding tank... And it's possible switching tanks to the enclosure stressed the snake out as well(basically had to get to know his house all over again)

Good luck! Maru wouldn't eat for us for months when we first got him!

4. jezabella1982

i guess ill have to tryand feed him in his house next time.....
    i THINK he is drinking although i never see him do it, but he moves all around at night time. and i havnt weighed him but he doesnt really seem to be loosing weight.

and i only feed mice right now because thats what petsmart has, and thats what the breeder apparently fed him.:confused:

im kinda ****ed my snake is turning out to be such a moody WUSS!!

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

You really should weigh him, if hes losing weight, you need to seek veterinary help.

6. jezabella1982

he doesnt look like he is but i will get a scale. ugh...is this normal? i heard snakes can go long w/o food....?

7. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

They can, as long as they have no other health issues, weight loss along with not eating is a sign that something is wrong.
    You dont always notice weight loss because you see him all the time, keeping a log of his bodyweight daily will help you keep track of his health.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Have you tried to scent the mouse with fish, or toads! I've read that Tuna works, just a thought!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just leave him alone till after the shed.
    Did you ever change out the thermometers?
    Are the cats still pestering him?

10. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

This may seem like a silly or judgmental question but I did not see the answer in your post- are you feeding during the day, evening or night? Also, are you just thawing the mouse out and then trying to feed? I saw you were dipping it in hot water but if the mouse's body is not warm enough on the inside (core temp) the snake may not want it. By the body being too cool, the snake will have to find an area warm enough to digest, the 90-95 degree hot side may not be warm enough for that. I defrost mine in warm water and then get the water hot and let it soak for about 15 minutes. This gives the mouse's body a chance to warm up mimicking the body heat of a live mouse. Again, I am not accusing just trying to help. If you are already doing that I apologize for the unnecessary information.
    If you are feeding during the day- try in the evening around sun down. If that doesn't work try about an hour before you go to bed. Most boas have great feed responses, but sometimes you just have to try to find the specific "HOT" button that will make him WANT to eat. I hope this helps some. Please keep us posted on the progress...or lack of it.

11. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

I agree with Merlin, leave him alone until he has done shedding, making sure the humidity and temps are correct and he has lots of fresh water and a good warm hide. When he sheds, leave him for another day.

Then go and find a live young rat or adult mouse at the pet shop and take it home, kill it yourself, and offer it to him. Maybe he has been eating fresh killed food rather than the frozen and thawed ones. If he eats the fresh prey, wait ten days and try him again with the frozen/thawed. If he is not sick he will take it soon enough.

If none of this works, and he is getting thinner, then he should be taken to the vet and checked for internal parasites or whatever else may be wrong.

Best of luck!

12. jezabella1982

This may seem like a silly or judgmental question but I did not see the answer in your post- are you feeding during the day, evening or night? Also, are you just thawing the mouse out and then trying to feed?
    im feeding during the night like around 10 when he is starting to come out from the day hiding...im thawing the mouse, dipping it in hot water, holding it under a heat lamp, braining it, and even tried dipping it in chicken stock.
    i usually leave the mouse in the little ziplockbag, let it sit for about an hr, changing the water every 15 minutes, then take the mouse out of the bag and let it sit in water for a few minutes.

If you are feeding during the day- try in the evening around sun down. If that doesn't work try about an hour before you go to bed. Most boas have great feed responses, but sometimes you just have to try to find the specific "HOT" button that will make him WANT to eat.

**yea, and if i dont find it soon, im seriously gonna loose it!

I hope this helps some. Please keep us posted on the progress...or lack of it.
    thanks!!:)

UPDATE: 11 weeks, Fagin still hasnt eaten.
    he shed last week tho, in ONE PERFECT PIECE!!! i am very happy about that:)
    its the little things nowadays......
    i THOUGHT he would be hungry.......?

He is acting kinda weird, he seems to be exploring a lot more now, even in the daytime....i thought he was looking for food, but apparently not.

tonihgt i just offered the foor to him inside his cage.....he didnt want, so i put it on a plate and hopefully it will be gone in the morning.....Buuut, i know it wont...:-/

13. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Try not to worry!! Snakes can and will go many many months without food. If he had a good shed and is otherwise active, he does not need a vet. He does not need live food. He needs to be left alone.

Just IGNORE the snake COMPLETELY for 2 weeks (Make sure he has enough fresh water and spot clean as necessary, but that's all -- no handling-- try not to check on him too many times a day; keep the cats away) -- and then try again after 3 weeks.
    One of our yearling chondros went 7 months without food and even lost some weight! It was HARD not to worry since none of our other males went that long w/o food. He looked interested, but never took it, we pestered him and he'd hide.
    Then one night he started eating again -- for no special reason -- we didn't do anything different. He has gained back all the weight and he's just fine.

TRY not to worry!!! :)

14. jezabella1982

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa449/jezabella1982/1308361579.jpg

UPDATE:

So my Fagin finally ate!!! after almost 4 months!!
    BUT unfortunatly.....not for me. I had to give him back to the breeder to see if he could get him to eat, and sure enough, he took a stunned. Guess he really hates the f/t......PICKY *******!!
    Now he is gonna try and switch him to f/t ....i dont think he will have it. guess he likes what he likes.....

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa449/jezabella1982/2011-06-17_16-45-35_227.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa449/jezabella1982/IMG_8162.jpg

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa449/jezabella1982/1308361579.jpg

15. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He is gorgeous, hopefully he can get him to switch for you! That was nice of him to help you out!

16. jezabella1982

yeah it was!!!! he is very nice to do that. ill give him a shoutout PMherps.com
    lol

and thanks for the compliment!:)

17. David McConley

Glad to hear he finally ate! If he took a stunned, you may want to keep him eating stunned for a few feeding. This is so he can get some energy back from his 4 month fast. After he is reliably eating for you, then try to switch him over to f/t. Good luck &congratulations on his return to eating.

18. jezabella1982

Thanks!! hey David, is it hard takib care if ALL those animals that u have?? Where do you keep than all?
    I want to get another snake one day, my bf thinks I'm crazy, but you people on here Really inspire me. Lol

19. David McConley

No, it isn't hard at all. The snakes are all on a schedule and weekly cleanings. If any extra is needed, it is done as it comes up. The dogs and cat are the most difficult (daily feeding and all that you know).

I keep them all in the house. I have 2 Bums, 4 common boa constrictors, 3 corn snakes, and a white-lipped python in our living room. There are 7 ball pythons, 2 corn snakes, 1 common boa constrictor, and a Mali uromastyx lizard in the dining room. Then in the spare bedroom I have a ball python, a blood python, a Taiwanese beauty snake, and a mangrove snake. The dogs and cat have the run of the house. I really need to work on my reptile room. Glad to hear you get inspired by us on here. Lots of people think I am crazy also.

20. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hey, glad the snake finally ate! Make sure the rats are TRULY stunned and do not wake up while being eaten and give him a nasty bite in their anger and pain. KILL them first, don't just stun.

David, your house with the animals sounds like paradise to me. I also have lots of animals in my house, with the iguanas on the patio in their cages.

The neighbours don't much bother me. They just about all hate snakes and lizards.