This Disappears When Logged In

My Gargoyle Gecko Has a Worried Weird Tail is It Ok?

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by MrSquiggsmom, Mar 25, 2012.

1. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

I just picked up a gargoyle gecko today. Mr. Squiggs because his tail is squiggly is this normal? Should I be concerned

2. Could you post a picture? I'm not sure what you mean by "squiggly."

3. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

Re: My Gargoyle Gecko Has a Weird Tail is It Ok?

Here are three different photos that show the tail the best. Hopefully this helps.
    Thank You

Attached Files:

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I would return this little guy! A kinky tail could be a sign of calcium problems like MBD.

Here is a link and it mentions the kinky tail;
    Health Issues

5. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

Is there way to try and reverse these issues? Or at least minimize any problems that may occure? Is it contagios from Gecko to Gecko. Poor guy. I feel so bad that I dont want to return him. I will definately check out the link to help answer my questions as well. Thank You for the info!

6. mld

I'm not sure how old he is, the younger they are the more reversible it would be. I would make sure that your feed him a good diet like Repashy CGD.
    I'm sure that someone with a Gargoyle Gecko will be by to help you out more than I can.

7. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

I know he is still under a year. I do have crickets as wekk as the Repashy. I will make sure that I search as much as I can to help this little guy! I wont be returning him. I know that someone else may pick him up an not think much about the odd looking tail.

8. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

So I read on the Kinky Tail. Sounds like this is early stages and something that can be taken care of. I really dont want to return him and let the condition get worse.

9. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Good on you :) your doing a good thing :)

10. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

Thanks Brady! Now that I know what I need to do where to I find is my next question. I have just a bit more research to do but I will make sure that Squiggs is taken care of. I may go back and get the other one that was there as well. Make sure he/she is ok to

11. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Yeah :) come here If you have any questions :) I personally don't know much about gechos, but pm barleybreathing she is good with gechos

12. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

It could be early signs of MBD. I would check the rest of him out and see if there are any other deformities.

13. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

What are some other things to look for. I have a lot of photos of my gecko up in my profile maybe you can see if there is anything bo those? Kriminaal- do you have any suggestions as to a good supliment to help if this is a Calcium concern. I have read a lot about not to do any D3. To me the tail is the only thing I can see that sticks out. The rest of Squiggs looks good to me but I am not an expert at all. Any help or advice would be great!

14. mld

This is from the link I posted earlier;

Also I wouldn't get another one, if this one is a female and becomes gravid, this will deplete even more calcium.
    Crested Gecko diet is a complete diet, and there is no need to add additional vitamins/minerals.

15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

If you are concerned that it is health threatening, then I would suggest a vet visit.
    They can perhaps do an x-ray to check for bone density or any other deformities.
    I've heard that they also give injections to stop the disease from taking over.

It's not something I have dealt with personally. But I wouldn't recommend self care or self diagnosis in this matter.

16. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

Whats so amazing tonight is that the color on him/her is almost white, its really pretty. Has kind of a reddish tinge to it as well. does any one know how old they havw to be until you can physically see the difference in sex?

17. Spyral

Spyral Elite Member

Wavy tail like that can be a calcium issue but can also be a sign of dehydration. If it's a calcium problem, you really should take him to the vet and have him properly diagnosed.

If this is an early sign of MBD, you can treat it but the tail may permanently deformed. If it goes untreated, the gecko may have twisted or rubbery bones, swollen limbs, loose jaw, etc. Eventually it can lead to neurological problems, problems digesting food and heart failure, so it's very important to have a vet look at him, take some x-rays and make sure that's what the issue is before treating him.

It takes more than just adding calcium, you do need enough D3 and a good blend of other vitamins & minerals to make sure the calcium is more efficiently absorbed. For healthy geckos, Repashy CGD is all you really need but consult with your vet on what he recommends. I recommend the Repashy line of products, they are a little harder to find than other brands but easily ordered online.

How are you housing her/him? If this is MBD it might be good to provide a low tank to minimize injury from falls, and a low-level UVB light to further aid in the uptake of calcium.

Age isn't as good as size when determining sex. However, it's been noted that many gargs are female, which can complicate the MBD as some will lay "virgin" dud eggs without a male, resulting in more calcium loss. Your vet may be able to see pores, but some female gargs have "psuedopores".

Good luck with Mr (or Ms) Squiggs! :)

18. MrSquiggsmom

MrSquiggsmom Member

Thanks, I have seen the vet and they dont see any sign of MBD or Calcium deficiancy. And as far as the tail maybe never being straight. Im ok with that as long as it does not cause any health issues. It adds character and my American Bull Dog has some what of a "deformed" tail too. I dont mind oddaties. Actually I prefer them. Its just a one of a kind trait (as long as it comes natrually). Thanks for all the well wishes and info. Im sure Ill be asking for more!!

19. mld

One nice thing about Gargoyles is that if they lose their tail, it grows back, unlike crested geckos. But who doesn't love crestie bums anyways.