This Disappears When Logged In

My four baby red eared sliders eat the fish's food

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Sk8gal, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

My turtles live with a betta fish (Siamese fighting fish). When I'm done with the turtles' feeding time, I toss in some Betta Bits betta food.

Sometimes my turtles eat it, is it safe for them? Thanks for your help.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Re: My four baby red eared sliders eat the fish's

Turtles are scavengers by nature. A bit of fishfood won't hurt them.
    I would be concerned, however, with them eating the betta. With all those elaborate fins bettas don't swim very rapidly and could easily become turtle food themselves!

3. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i agree its definitely not a good idea for the betta to be house with them. they will most likely nip at the fins and stress out the betta. and when the turtles get bigger that betta will be a snack for them.

4. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Thanks for the specific replies, but the betta actually chases my turtles and she sometimes sleeps next to them. My turtles have never shown any signs of trying to eat her, as I give them a wide vatriety of turtle-safe food. The betta is perfectly comfortable with them, and the turtles are showing the same signs as well.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

This isn't the first time i've heard this only to come back to the boards later and read a post that says "My <insert predator here> ate my <insert prey item> and I don't understand why, I thought they were friends."

6. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

I bet the turtles are just waiting for the bettas to fatten up a bit.:D

Seriously, if you were to find that your betta fish have become lunch would this be upsetting to you? If so, I would seperate them from the turtles immediately. As far as the turtles are concerned a fish is a fish: goldfish, guppies, bettas, all on the menu and I bet those bettas are extra tastey.

7. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

They've met since they were both hatchlings. The turtles never try to eat her, trust me they won't.

8. nicole

nicole Elite Member

they will,, it is not like they are friends, these are wild animals with natural instincts that will act upon their natural instincts when the time is right, could be that your turtles are too small right now to eat her, but when they become big enough they most certainly will!

9. Merlin

Famous last words!!!
    People are always trying to put human attributes onto wild animals.
    These attitudes just aren't there.
    I know a lady that swore her fish, an oscar about 15 inches long, was "friends' with the numerous smaller fish in the tank and would never harm them. Turns out she kept the fish so full of beef heart that the fish couldn't have swallowed anything else if it tried. She got sick one day and couldn't come in and feed the oscar. The "friendship" came to a sudden end.
    The turtles are predators and eventually are going to look at the fish as a food source. The fact that they met as babies is irrelevant. Sooner or later there will be trouble.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

thats going to be one dead beta.

11. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Gosh...now all my turtle's eating is the fish food and nothing else... I put her in a separate container with only turtle food, shrimp, etc... All she wants is fish food...

12. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Just another reason that you should probably separate them, fish food isn't nutritionally balanced for turtles...
    You might have to give her some tough love, no fish food, only turtle food.

13. Merlin

JUst stop feeding the fish food. When it gets hungry it will eat the right stuff!

14. The JD

The JD Elite Member

The trick is to WANT the turtle to eat the betas. When my sister didn't want her carnival goldfish anymore, I put it in with my turtle as a nice little snack, but he never ate it. (Mind you, it was a big fish to begin with, he didn't even nip at it.) After a long while, I got around to thinking it wasn't such a bad idea and the goldfish was kind of cool and...BAM! Alphonse's guts were all over the place. Last year I was catching live food for my turtle in a local pond and ended up catching some bluegills along with some crayfish. Billy Bad*** Bluegill, Billy Bad*** Bluegill Jr., and Billy Bad*** Bluegill Jr. Jr.

I only named them after he didn't eat any of them for almost a year. So I figure, well, they must be pals, so I named them (As mentioned previously, by order of size, their names given because...well, they survived my turtle that long.) And it wasn't until just recently Billy Bad*** Bluegill Jr. Jr. went missing. Although his older brother's are still hanging in there, with BBB becoming rather aggressive against BBB Jr. recently...

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

All good points made so far. Fish food, while an ok addition to your turtles' diet, should not make up the bulk of it. Fish, however, are a part of your turtles' diet. When they're large enough to eat your betta, they will. And they should, it's what they do. I'd be concerned if they didn't eat it. Neither bettas nor turtles "make friends". Your turtles are conditioned to the bettas presence in the habitat. They don't eat it because they don't yet realize they can, it's called perceived constraint. When they realize they can eat the fish, they will do so.

Also, you may want to start adding some fish to the diet now, like zebra danios or tetras (if your turtles are small). Guppies will be even better because they're slower. As your turtles grow, upgrade to mollies as your main feeder. Goldfish and minnows are "ok" now and then, but they're not as nutritious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.