This Disappears When Logged In

My First Snake, "Page"

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Thili, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Thili

Thili Active Member

This lookin at all better guys??
    fVsCPDZ.jpg
    D0FvPl3.jpg

Thanks man appreciate the advice, so like a paper towell roll in the tank for him to crawl through and hide is good too? I just used a whole roll cleanin his tank before i put him in i guess he may as well make use of it :p yeah im really excited to have him gonna give him a few more days before i try handling him since i read should wait like a week after introduction to new tank

GxEq09z.jpg tuuuuuuube sliiiiiide

Attached Files:

2. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I am glad he got a good home! It looks much better!

3. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

Looks awesome! How you do it is up to you. This is what I try to keep in mind when I set my snakes up: Snakes, especially young snakes, tend to move around and be more active when they are feeling secure. With this in mind, I try to set my enclosures for young snakes up so my snake can go pretty much wherever he wants to in the enclosure in "cover." I use fake plants and leaves, and really whatever I can find so my snake can travel from warm hide to cold hide to water feeling like I cannot see him. This actually allows me to see more of my snake, because it makes him more active. For instance, instead of being curled up in a hide for the entire day, I will see his head poking out under a leaf here, and under a piece of bark there etc.

How are you heating your enclosure, overhead or UTH? Milk snakes do not need as high temps as most other snakes, and you can completely shut your heat source off at night (assuming room temps do not go below 65 and your enclosure is not in front of an AC.) We actually sometimes see these guys around the hunting property in PA. Really cool animals. You have a great looking one btw, you must be really excited about your first snake.

4. Thili

Thili Active Member

Sweet thanks and yeah i was amazed how much more full it looks with that box and tube! Gonna ask some of my buddy's if they have any extra fake plants from prev setups left tomorrow :)

Thanks yeah hes a beauty for sure and the girl who sold him to me was Pretty nice herself haha but yeah im gonna keep that in mind as i make tiny additions to the tank. You guys think thats right? About waiting the week before handling him? He ate wednesday so i have two pinkies in the freezer waitin for this upcoming wednesday

5. Thili

Thili Active Member

Imbusing uth by exoterra on the left side would unplugging it at night promote activity/what benefits are there to it?

6. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

I handled my snake from day one. I did not know any better and she did not seem to mind. If he seems okay with it I would say go ahead and handle. The only time I do not handle is for two days after she eats.

This is my first snake too so there may be some validity to the no handle rule, our experience might have been the exception.

7. diehardislanders

Dont handle your milksnake from day 1. You should wait a few days so he can settle in. The benefits to turning it off would be to save electricity. Thats it. If you are using a UTH, you need to make sure your thermosthat is on the bottom glass, not on top of the substrate. Your snake can, and might burrow itself into direct contact with the glass floor, so that is what you must monitor.

8. Thili

Thili Active Member

ok perfect then will give him another day or so before handling maybe just before i feed him or somethin and and oh ok my electricity is included with rent so i dont mind haha, and wait with an under tank heater how could it be on top of the substrate? i peeled the paper off and stuck the mat to the bottom outside of the tank was this not correct?

9. diehardislanders

That is correct. You should never run a UTH without a thermostat, so I just was assuming you were using one. I was saying not to put the temp probe on top of the substrate but on the glass bottom. So, let me take a step back lol. Do you have your UTH hoked up to a form of temperature control? Also, what method are you using to read temperatures on your "hot end" by the UTH?

10. Thili

Thili Active Member

Bought an exoterra thermo/hygrometer with a probe i can move from end to end to check both and oh no i dont have a thermostat but it is the less hot of the 2 like its the rainforest one or something, lol suggested by the store.

11. Thili

Thili Active Member

Just put the probe under the substrate also felt the glass on top of the pad (inside tank) and its warm but not "hot" in fact its right at his optimal temp according to my caresheet so is that ok to have set? I believe he's starting his shed process so i found a nice fairly abrasive rock on my way home and i soaked it in a bleach water solution rinsed it with hot water then boiled it in salt water then rinsed again with hot water and now have it sitting on a shelf to dry so i can put it in the tank tomorrow in case he needs help shedding, good idea yes?

Also i moved a couple things around today like putting the "tube slide" half buried from the hot to cool side for him to do his sneaky travelling side to side like you suggested still waiting on friends to get back at me about plants, any other suggestions on freebie things to promote activity? I understand he'll probably be not so active while shedding but afterwards

Edit: haha didnt realise this forum censored, the comma in he'll is gonna be very important to remember here

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  12. diehardislanders

You can get outside sticks, small flower pots turned upside-down, whatever you want. There are lots of ways to get free reptile decorations lol. Regarding your UTH, I have never heard of the rain forest model. I have never had any heat source that has maintained a particular temperature. I have some UTH's that are set on what is called a "lamp dimmer." They are $10 at home depot, but I am pretty sure you could grab one in any hardware store. That will at least allow you to control temps if you needed to. Here is the link to the temperature controllers I use if you are interested: Amazon.com: Zilla 11939 Temperature Controller, 1000-Watt: Pet Supplies

13. Thili

Thili Active Member

Exo Terra : Heat Wave Rainforest / Terrarium Substrate Heater

Thats the one i got and k sweet i figured i could get stuff like that but should i do anything to it to make sure its safe for the terrarium?

14. diehardislanders

Cool. Thanks for posting that link. Hey, if your temps are on, they are on- that is all that matters. I usually bake my sticks, boil my rocks. You could also make a bleach/water spray and spray down some sticks, but you have to wait a day or two for the bleach to evaporate before using.

15. Thili

Thili Active Member

Sweet i work split shifts so i migh go for a lil walk and find somethin good i made a tunnel of a kleenex box with the plastic peeled out and the sides opened then masked it eith substrate at the back with the hole forwards hopefully he uses it so i can see him sneak in that too

Caught him on top of the box he already seemed to like from yesterday today kinda hangin out peekin the enviroment i think

16. Thili

Thili Active Member

Added the coconut shell this mornin and everytime ive opened the tank to peek at him hes been above substrate in the shell so he seems to be diggin it and hopefully getting more comfortable in his new home, feeding him tomorrow still hopin he shed soon, Notice myself bein ancious about every little thing with him due to my lack of experience but how long does it usually take from when they start to dull usually?

17. Thili

Thili Active Member

He ate well, real quick to go to it two days ago and i only fed one because he seems to be starting the shed and today i pulled up his cabe to try and see him and he got into like an s like was ready to strike me if i went near so i backed the ***
    off and closed him up

18. Thili

Thili Active Member

Got a light on the warm side too now also cut another paper towel tube and opened it to make a tunnel against the glass he can hide in and i can see him still. Man he is FAST tho! any tips too calm him down when wanting to handle him? Hard to even get him up and into his feeding box

mHPUCZC.jpg

hacGT2C.jpg

Z0JQd1U.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Thili

Thili Active Member

kvWUOGp.jpg

Started handling him! Using a glOve seems to leave him more comfortable while hes getting used to me so thats why i have it on lol

Attached Files:

20. diehardislanders

Enclosure looks cool! I would ditch the glove. That snake is way too small to really bother you if he did try to strike, and it is important for him to get used to your scent. If he is very "flighty" maybe try handling him over a large rubbermaid tub or something, so you do not have to worry about him running off of your hands. How is the little guy doing so far?