This Disappears When Logged In

My DIY Fake Rocks

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by KDK241, Aug 23, 2012.

1. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

My collared lizard is so active and loves to jump around on his rocks but I was always scared they would crash down and hate using silicone so I figured I'd make some of my own :) They are home made clay (dried in the microwave) and acrylic paint. I got the idea from another forum about DIY hides but just changed it to rocks. I used plastic bags, crumpled up paper plates, cardboard, wood, pretty much anything I could think of for the molds. I didn't seal them yet because the inside isn't quite dry all the way but I think they turned out ok. I need to practice my painting a little though :p He loves them so that's what matters anyway! I was going to spray paint them but the acrylic was so much cheaper and I've only used 1/2 of the bottles for 6 rocks so far.

100_1098.jpg

100_1100.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

They look really good! Are they hollow or still contain those products used for the molds.

3. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

They are hollow...well all but one where a chunk of paper plate stuck in :p It took some practice to figure out just the right cooking time to make it not collapse but not bake on the molds too. I made another one with a separate piece that is flat to glue on the bottom so he can't go hiding up in there if I don't want him to. My plan is to make a big pile of "rocks" for him to crawl in and out of and jump around in. He's gets so bored that he will start trying to jump on his lid so I have to change his cage up every couple days. I love the little guy but man he's picky about everything :)

4. lulubelle

lulubelle Well-Known Member

Wow! They look so real... great job! Do you prefer them over the foam/grout rocks? Are they heavy?

Would you mind sharing how you made your 'home made' clay?

Very cute lizard too... looks like he's wearing a sweater. :)

5. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

good job! look real enough to me, all that matters is keeping the little guy entertained!

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

beautiful :D

7. KDK241

KDK241 Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer them over foam/grout but that's probably because I'm not patient and don't like to wait forever for things to dry :) They are reasonably heavy, the gray one on the top weighs 7.5 oz and is about 4" wide and 3" tall. They are definitely heavy enough that I don't worry about him tipping them over (he is pretty small though). I made some much larger ones for my beardies and plan to glue them together. They dry as hard as a rock though so they are solid. I also made some flat pieces of the clay and glued them to the bottom of some of the rocks so nothing can get in there.

The clay recipe is easy and there is nothing better than seeing the looks you get when you go buy 6 containers of salt at one time:) (one container of salt is enough for 2 1/2 batches)

2 cups flour
    3/4 cups salt
    1 cup water
    1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable oil

Mix together the flour and salt and then slowly add the water and oil (I add the oil and then 1/4 cup water at a time) Mix it together until it forms a ball. If it sticks to your fingers then add a little more flour and if it cracks when you work it its too dry and add a little more water. It should feel like play dough. You can roll it out but I just used my hands to press it out but don't go much thinner than 1/2" or it will tear very easily. I dried mine in the microwave but you can use a low oven also.

I am using modge podge outdoor to seal the ones for my beardies but that's only because they WILL poop on them. I sealed the ones in the pics with a 50/50 mix of school glue and water. He only poops on his basking rock and its not as wet. So far they have held up great and he absolutely loves crawling in and out of the gaps.

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice and creative! They look good and so does the little guy you got.

9. lulubelle

lulubelle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the 'how to'! :)
    I'll have to try to make a couple of them for my beardie.

10. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I think I just found something to do with my raining weekend. Thanks a lot for the 'recipe'.