This Disappears When Logged In

My Darlin'- Rest In Peace

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by gapeachkatie, Sep 11, 2012.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

This morning was extremely unexpected. Before I went to work, I checked on the reptiles even though they still had 3 hours before their lights came on, they were safe and sound, both in their cool hides. I come home this past hour to get a change of scrubs (had to assist an emergency dog c-section without spare clothes) only to find the ball python had managed to force her way into the wire light housing. There is an almost perfect circle in the wire from where she forced it to warp at her widest section. The lights had only been on for about an hour when I found her, but it was obviously too late to help her. She has only been in her new tank for about a week, and apparently used her elevated water bowl to be able to reach the top of the tank where the light was half in/half out of the tank in a wire cage. I feel like the worst person ever because I grossly underestimated her abilities (partly due to how high she could stretch herself without anything to lean against and partly how strong she was). Even though Brandon deemed her to be named Murder Face, she was my Darlin' with the most unique personality for a snake I have ever seen.

Also, please, no one accuse me of being a terrible person or neglectful due to underestimating her. I honestly didn't expect her to be able to stretch over 3/4ths of her body length to the cage and then be able to expand the mesh with her body. I already have to face telling Brandon about it, because he is working out of town right now.

HPIM0649.jpg
    mms_picture(6).jpg

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry Katie-Lynn to hear about your loss, Sending prayers your way

3. lulubelle

lulubelle Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

4. iRene

iRene Elite Member

I am very sorry to hear this. I do not think anyone can say you have done something wrong. She has obviously been very well cared for in her time with you. She is a beautiful animal. I am so sorry for your loss.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry to hear this Katie!

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

This is one of the hardest things to go through! For what it's worth you have my condolences...though I realize it means nothing now. Please don't beat yourself up about this.

7. gapeachkatie

I have literally been crying my eyes out since I found her this morning. I find irony in the fact it happened on a day that already reminds me of the loss of two dear friends who joined the military because of the 9-11 attacks, but along with that, i have already been having a difficult week for personal reasons. I have found comfort in the fact that one of my friends made a cross out of paint stirs and helped me bury her, but it still hurts knowing I could of taken more precautions to prevent this.

8. mele

mele Elite Member

Im truly sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts.

9. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

That must have been mortifying to discover :( I'm so sorry!

10. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry about your loss Katie....

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Katie! As they say, hindsight is 20/20. There are always things we wish we could change in retrospect. Don't beat yourself up!

12. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

So sorry, Katie-Lynn. Everyone knows how much you care about your animals, please know that sometimes things just happen.

13. gapeachkatie

Thank you all for your condolences. Brandon has officially put his foot down and said no more animal for a long while -- We'll see how long that lasts with Repticon coming up in a month -- since we are moving soon and trying to start a family of our own.

Figured ya'll would get a kick out of this: it's a picture of the cross a friend made for Darlin'. She is now buried in the back of my yard with at least a dozen other pets of family and friends and memory boxes of friends lost (a tradition my dearest friends insist on).
    mms_picture(7).jpg