This Disappears When Logged In

My Current Custom Tank (So Far) 6x3x2

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by ArmyMedic, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Oh, and one more thing...when you mount your fluorescent fixture I would suggest doing so towards the front of the enclosure on a slight tilt towards the center/rear of the enclosure. This is going to throw more light across the space while at the same time making the light source less apparent to the viewer. The basking spot should be right beside the UVB source to better simulate natural basking conditions (high heat+UVB). Also, when you install the mist system be absolutely sure none of the nozzles can be turned towards the fluorescent fixture, as this will blow the bulbs and you would have a heck of a mess on your hands.

2. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Well-Known Member

OK so im going to Put the heat lamps on top...im not sure i understand the wire part tho...do i just screw in that box and then have all the wires with the screw caps go into that? or use that to cover the hole? actually now that im writing this i understand what you are saying lol....ill have to do that...im going to have to buy more wiring now...its to short..o well lol....

also i just cut out the wood for my hide box!! its going to be awesome! ill have to get some pics up later this weeknd..as of right now its just 5 pieces of wood...when its done its going to be a big L shape box with a door on top so i can check up on him from time to time...

i havent had as much time as i would like to work on it this weekend....people keep wanting me to be social...**** football... haha

anyway thank you again Matt..you have no idea how much you have helped me with this project...

3. ArmyMedic

O yeah the Lights i got are the dimmable ones...and the light fixture i got from lightyourreptile was a kit that they put together..one 6.k and one UVB so..i just bought it yesterday...for 150 i get a fixture and 2 bulbs that by themselves cost 30 bucks each so not a bad deal.

4. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Setting up the junctions is easy enough. You are going to start by punching out the knockouts you intend to use. Use the handle of a screw driver to start the punch, then the business end to push it further into the box, then just work it back and forth till the 'coin' falls off. Once you get the holes you need opened up you simply screw the box in place using 3/4" screws. Now you will need to install the connectors in the holes to run your wires through. Once the loose ends are in the box link them together with a good twist and a wire nut. Once you have everything snug you will need to tighten the clamps on the connectors to keep the wiring in place.

If that doesn't make sense I'm sure you can find a tutorial online or possibly find someone at HD to walk you through the basics (might be a stretch). Just let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help you out however I can.

5. ArmyMedic

Yeah that all made perfect sense...and i was able to rewire the lights on the top of the cage...and put a the light box on top to protect all the cables...that connector was awesome and really keeps all the cords nice n snug....here is a pic

lightbox.jpg

and here is a pic of the cage finally with all the trim!!! i think the metal trim came out really really nice!!! (my gf's idea btw) it has a slight industrial look to it...im very happy!!
    trim.jpg

i really wasnt able to do a whole lot to the cage...spent most of my day at a football bbq...**** social life...but i did almost finish the hide box..should be done by tues....and then i should have the humidifier and mistking setup sometime this week...i still havent ordered the Glass yet...not really sure why... :/ but other then that this tank is pretty much done!!!

hope everyone had a great weekend and Matt thanks again!

Attached Files:

6. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Is it just the pictures or is there a significant bow in the middle?

7. ArmyMedic

Its just the picture...Idk why it looks like that lol

8. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Then all is good.

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Nice--I like the look of the front. I know it's a bit late now, but if you were going to run new wiring anyway you could have just drilled a small hole in the back wall of the enclosure right at the top to run your wiring directly to the circular outdoor box that your lamps are hooked up to. It just would have been a cleaner, more straight forward way to do it, is all. Technically you could still do it, but that would be up to you, friend.

10. ArmyMedic

MORE PICS!! i just finished the Humidifier and it looks pretty bad *** in action..i took a few pics to show you guys!! :) Enjoy

humidfier1.jpg

humidifier2.jpg

humiedone.jpg

Attached Files:

11. ArmyMedic

im not gonna lie i suck at the whole electrical thing...as long as the wires are protected..everything is connected right...and the lights turn on im ok haha..and i kinda like the box ontop..it adds to the rest of the metal on the tank! ;)

12. ArmyMedic

Attached Files:

13. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looking good.
    That looks like a whole lot of fun.
    Nice job on the updates.

14. ArmyMedic

Thank you :) it has been alot of fun!! all i really have left is the door and the legs..and i will be good to go...

tbh i look forward to getting on the computer and posting the updates :) having you guys comment and saying how it looks good is pushing me to finish it!! so thank you guys!

15. ArmyMedic

*Mini update**

Buit the hide box...i think its gonna be just big enough for a year or 2 maybe..i should have made it longer :(o well...the mistking is set up and running...the Humidifier is up n running...i put one last coat of sealant on...its all coming together...

@Vers Todd from Lightyourreptiles actually called me the other day to let me know that he was having some family issues and he is just now mailing my lights..im in no hurry what so ever and i let him know that..and he then said that he would be adding a little something extra for my patience.....WOW talk about customer service...if i knew nothing about this company except that i would recommend him to everyone!! i cant wait to see what extra gift he put in there that being said Light Your Reptiles

ps you guys need to hurry up and get me to 1000 views!!

16. ArmyMedic

OK picture time!!

First here is a video..hopefully it works...Its a video showing off all the Misting and fogging :)
    th_tankvideo.jpg

this is just another front pick with all the lights on and the hide! :)
    done6.jpg

this is a shot of the hide when the Humidifier was on!
    done1.jpg

just how big the hide box is
    done4.jpg

Inside shot showing the strip lights..Vers i put it at an angle like you said! :) *i still need to put the end caps on*
    done5.jpg

SOO thats it! :) just need to the door..i already have ideas for the legs...gonna use 2inch galvanized pipe screwed onto a Flange Rakuten.com - Black Malleable Floor Flange, 2"

anyway hope you guys enjoy!!

Attached Files:

17. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I do enjoy.
    Video works just fine.
    Gonna be sweet to see the Tegu in there all completed.

18. ArmyMedic

SOOOO weekends are kinda boring now that i dont have anything to do on the tank....lol im just waiting on some pieces from amazon for the legs but they wont come in until tues :( and then on pay day im gonna buy the glass...and then i will be ready to set it up in the house :)

sorry for no updates bc there hasnt been any haha...look for some this coming week :)

19. ArmyMedic

Good news with Bad news

Im probably getting sent to the army Base on Hawaii in like a year or 2(good news)

Hawaii doesnt allow any exotic none native animals to include Tegu's(bad news)

i even emailed the Hawaii Department of Agriculture if i could get a special permit...and they said

Your e-mail has been received by the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.
    Tegus are illegal in Hawaii. There are no special permits that would allow in to the state.
    We hope that you will be able to find it a good home on the Mainland prior to your move to Hawaii.

Aloha,

Janelle Saneishi
    Public Information Officer
    Hawaii Department of Agriculture

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well instead of getting a tegu then is their anything Hawaii would allow you to have that interests you as well?