This Disappears When Logged In

My Current Custom Tank (So Far) 6x3x2

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by ArmyMedic, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ArmyMedic

ArmyMedic Well-Known Member

This is day one..basically just a box...lol
    1017021_586991701343795_1086106136_n.jpg

this is a close up on the type of stain that i chose..its ebony..and on the Oak it looks amazing!!!
    1184833_587253714650927_1693190328_n.jpg

The out side of the tank is Stained Ebony..but i didnt want to stain the inside for obvious reasons..so i instead used a Flat black latex paint.
    972211_587253747984257_2101164844_n.jpg

so i found out that wood likes to bow...doh!! :( so i built a frame and screwed it on..took the bow right out and added some needed stability. :)
    1237890_587594694616829_2064626003_n.jpg

1236415_587594747950157_1667372829_n.jpg

and this is where i'm at now...everything is stained and or painted...i have to drill for the vents and wires...attach the light fixtures...screw on the piano hinges for the top door...and then build my sliding glass door...i cant for the life of me find tracks for the glass locally so im gonna have to order them..and then order my glass. Im going to have them pre instal a handle :) all in all i think this is going great!!..ive learned alot!! and made some mistakes.i asked alot of questions and you guys have helped alot!!..hopefully by next weekend i will have a fully up n running tank...and then in another 70ish days my new friend will hatch and everything will be AWESOME!!!

1236377_587594797950152_63028127_n.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Looks good. What reptile are you building it for again? It's a large piece

3. ArmyMedic

Im on a waiting list for a Blue Tegu from TeguTerra...this should be big enough for the first 2 years and then i might have to upgrade a few feet in each direction...altho blue's are known to be smaller so only time will tell...i wouldnt mind building another cage anyway...i could then turn this one into something else :)

also thank you :)

4. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

That's right. I knew you'd mentioned it before. Very nice. Looks like a fun project.

5. ArmyMedic

its very fun! my gf tho i think is getting anoyed b.c all i do is talk about it!! ...im just so hapopy its turning out so well! :)

6. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Look at you getting after it! I know it's probably a bit late, but it would have been better to stand those 2x3's for the frame upright instead of laying them flat. While it and the front 'lip' will still help stabilize the ply it's not going to do the best of jobs at it. How is the enclosure going to be installed, on it's own legs or on a preexisting flat, stable surface, like a table, counter, cabinet/dresser or floor?

I would also suggest a few layers of water based clear coat (polycrylic) or a sheet protectant (frp, laminate) for the interior. If a tegu is going in there it will need it. In addition, while you may have this covered already, be sure your electrical is installed properly/safely--use boxes with your lamp holders and proper wiring methods (wire nuts, crimp/ring terminals etc etc). I can't tell you how many times I see people install electrical improperly, putting their animals, themselves and people around them at risk.

Also, bummer you didn't go with a uro--would have been a nice size for one!

7. ArmyMedic

I agree with the 2x3..this has all been a pretty big learning experience for me..but a fun one...I gave myself almost 3 months to get the cage perfect before I bring home my new guy so I have time to fix everything if needed.

as far as the Polycyclic goes that's my plan for the weekend...the whole cage inside n out is going to be covered with that stuff..I used a few scrap pieces to practice on so I could get the hang of how it is..and I'm loving the stuff!!

I'm going to have to show you what I'm doing with the wiring...none of the lights are going to be in reach of the Lizard but i have a x2 T5 4foot light fixture that's attached inside the cage on the roof the wire will be secured to the wood and then out a small hole the I drilled...there is no exposed wiring but...with the high humidity is that going to be a problem?

tbh it will probably end up turning into a Uro cage..in a year or 2 when Winston(my soon to be tegus name) needs something a little bigger.

8. ArmyMedic

I forgot to add that the cage will have its own legs...big huge 4x4 post legs!!

also I'm going for a very industrial look..so I'm getting these 1/8 inch thing 1inch wide pieces of metal and using that as the trim around the cage...and then getting some L shaped pieces for the corners! that is also on my to-do list this weekend if I can get my coat done on fri/sat...bc Sunday is the expo haha..pics will come soon :)

9. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Yeah I'm sure my husband is tired if me talking about it too lol. I just got my baby bearded dragon and I already want a second one. I have a red eared slider turtle and really need to clean her tank. It's so gross. My kids actually want a lizard. I was going to try a different one but bearded dragons are a good size. Not too big, not too small. And geckos are nice but they are night time guys :)

It looks great. It will be nice to see the pics when you post.

10. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Very nice!!!! Now, could you come to my house and build one for me to house a Bearded Dragon???

11. ArmyMedic

Mini update this is just a Humidifier that i got from bed bath and beyond...i took a hack saw to the top to make the hole a little bigger and then got some PVC pipe and..well i made what you can see in the pic :)

humi2.jpg

humi3.jpg

humi1.jpg

Attached Files:

12. ArmyMedic

forgot to add that i will the attach some hosing to it and have one going into his hide box and the other hose going into the other side of the tank :p

13. ArmyMedic

ALMOST DONE!! I just got done cutting the metal for the trim..(Not fun) and finished up the Humidifier...I also finished putting my 3rd coat of sealant on..im only doing 3 on the outside...ill probably do 4-5 on the inside.....no work will be done tomorrow...i have a 5 hour drive to the reptile show...and a 5 hour drive back :/ but i will be able to pick up some good items...Hopefully...anyway here are some more pics :)

metal.jpg

humi4.jpg

tank.jpg

Attached Files:

14. ArmyMedic

Well last night was the Reptile show!! and i had a blast!....aside from the 11 hours that i was on the road yesterday, everything was awesome! i picked up pretty much everything that i needed and i even got to hold a BnW Tegu...and more importantly my gf got to hold one and now she is Hooked!! here are some pics

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

ps thanks to everyone who is still following this post :) the tank should be done(except for the glass) sometime this week. So get ready for alot of pics ;)

Attached Files:

• a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      98.9 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      65.1 KB
      Views:
  15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Nice looking Tegu. Always found them pretty cool.
    If you can, the higher you put the humidifier off the ground the better. They don't have to push the moist air as much.
    I've heard some actually shut down if too much moisture falls back into the unit.
    You don't want any places where water can sit and mold as well.

16. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

Yay!!! I'm glad your gf is hooked!! It's so much easier when you are both on the same page. The night before we got the Jungle Carpet Python, that was all my husband and I talked about. It was so exciting to go pick him up the next day!!

17. ArmyMedic

It was one of the better looking ones at the show...alot of them all had nipped tails :( i was very tempted to get him..but i had to do the responsible thing and wait until my tank is done...plus im on a waiting list for a Tegu with Johnny over at teguterra.com
    thats really good info to know about the Humidifier...im gonna have to build something on the top to hide it then.

wile i have done all the building, she has been very involved on how it looks (color, trim, doors) and i even caught her reading up on Tegu's...its nice when its something we both are excited about :)

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Congrats! So excited to see a finished cage!

19. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Nice! Glad you were able to make it down to the show. A few notes on the enclosure...
    -I think you may have difficulty keeping humidity levels up with as many vents as you have. You may end up having to close most, if not all, of them off.
    -The ZooMed bulb you grabbed was a good choice, however, in case you weren't aware, you're going to need an HO ballasted fixture in order to use it. When you mount it, try to do so over top of a portion of the basking area, which should cover the entire animal. This will allow the animal to photoregulate properly.
    -The basking lamp you purchased, sad to say, isn't going to be a good choice. Spot bulbs for medium-large animals are generally not a good idea in a low profile enclosure. I would suggest going with a few (three or four) PAR 38 Outdoor halogen wide floods, preferably dimmable variants. The lamps not only tolerate humidity better than indoor rated halogen and incandescent lamps but they also last longer, create more heat per watt and are cheaper than reptile-oriented lamps. I'd go with an outdoor box with four adjustable lamp holders and a box cover. When combined with flood lamps this type of setup will create a large basking area and a relatively low profile fit. If you can the basking lamps to a dimmer switch you will be able to adjust temps accordingly. The thermostat you purchased may work with the lamps as well. If you decide to hook it up link it only to one or two bulbs, that way once it gets too hot only one or two lamps shut down, rather than them all. I'm not sure if you were able to view the link I sent you the first time around, but if you get a chance check out my enclosures--you may be able to incorporate some ideas for your lighting and electrical.

Hope that helps!

20. ArmyMedic

THANK YOU! those light fixtures are actually exactly what i was looking for i just could never find them..i will be making a stop to HomeDepot this weekend...as far as the HO fixture...i have a double bulb T5 Fixture that i got at HomeDepot...it was the only 48inch T5 fixture that i could find that was able to mount on top of the ceiling...im not really sure i understand what a HO fixture is...

as far as the vents go...yeaaahhh! that was one of those learn as you go things...i already have plans to just put saran-wrap between the vent covers i have :/ o well...lol

im gonna have to check out what you did with your lights..

**i just got back from looking at what i bought for my strip lights and they are HO.Lithonia Lighting 2-Light High Output Multi-Volt T5 Compact White Strip Light-ZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT GEB10PS at The Home Depot

so thats good!!**