This Disappears When Logged In

My Corn Snake!!

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Hkg, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Hey every one! My name is hunter and I figured why not introduce my corn snake? I figured it can't hurt and I have nothing else to do so why not...? So I have been researching reptiles for about 4 almost 5 years. But I my parents never let me have one. Till one day my science teacher found out I wanted a corn snake, and she asked if I wanted hers. I of course said yes and I picked him/her up 2 days later. It came in a 5 gallon tank, one hide, poop all over the place, shed skin, the water bowl was dirty and the water was pink and chunky. I'm sure glad I took this snake in before she died. When we got home I cleaned the water bowl, and spot cleaned real quick. I let him/her settle for about a week then I decided it NEEDS a new cage. So I bought a 20 gallon long, and got a over $200 lll reptile purchase of hides and decor etc... I set up its cage and fed it. It is now up to weight. I think it will always be a short snake because of the lack of food and care that was provided. It's not super short, but it's not super long. And I don't know exactly how big they are suppose to be at her/his age because I don't know it's age. Any way, it's doing great, never missed a meal, it's not shy at all. It will drink and eat in front of me no problem. Real active, always looks for a way out. And i have owned him/her for about 2 years. It just hasn't felt that long. It's really just a great snake, it has never ever tried to bite me and loves to be handled. So I hope you enjoyed. Feel free to tell me about your snake stories! If love to hear em!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    It is a anery corn snake. And I don't know they age or gender. The cage pic is one if my first setups. Sorry for any typos. I was in a hurry.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Welcome to HerpCenter! He's a really pretty snake and it's great that you rescued him. Don't mean to be rude but your science teacher should know better than to keep a corn snake in such conditions. I like the setup you have now:) How long is the snake? I'm afraid his exact age will always remain a mystery unless you ask your teacher how long she had him. He looks fairly young, though, maybe around 5 years old, though it's really just a wild guess. Adult corns usually are between 4-6 feet (120 and 180cm), so if he ever starts pushing 5 feet you might want to upgrade the enclosure to one with more floor space so that he can stretch out. For now it looks great, though:)

3. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

Thanks! I'd say s/he is about 3 ft.it is in shed now. I was gonna take in a red tail boa, and a amazon tree boa yesterday but the lady sold them before I got there. I was planning on building new cages for all of them that were pretty big. But sense I didn't get the snakes those plans have been posponed.

4. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Hi, good looking snake. I didn't even know they made 5 gal. tanks. Tiny. Glad you got her. I like your setup. Is that a UVB/A bulb? They don't need them so you might be able to save some money on electricity. My cornsnake is 10 1/2. She is a creamsicle, which is actually a cross between a king and a corn. She's around 5 feet. Like yours, she is not afraid of people whatsoever and has a calm demeanor. Mine is in a 40 gallon tank and for exercise (when too cold to go outdoors), I let her climb up & down a chair - she seems to love it.

5. Khorne

Khorne Well-Known Member

Its probably just the fact that my set up has the bare minimum at the moment, but the cage seems a bit crowded, especially near the back. Glad you manged to get the snake before it died, its definitely way better off now.

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

I'm not 100% sure it's 5 gallon. That's just what I was told. I wasn't to worried about the size sense I had moved her up right away. No it's not a UVB/a bulb it's just a regular reptile bulb, y'know? I'll post what it is as soon as I find the box. Creamsickles are pretty snakes. I'm defiantly jealous. I can't wait for my corn to get bigger. And my corn would never go up and down a chair, that's pretty cool that yours does!

7. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

S/he is still rather small. But there is room behind all the decor. The giant wood peice is curved so there is quite a bit of room behind it. If she's not coiled up on the wood trunk she is behind it. Yeah I'm definitely really happy I got him/her too. Not only was it my first reptile, but it was a rescue and helped show my parents that reptiles aren't bad. And my mom actually really likes him/her. She always talks to its cage like it understands her, which is kinda goofy but oh well. It's better than her being afraid of it. Haha