This Disappears When Logged In

My Common Kings (Getula)

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Jlassiter, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Speckled Kings (L. g. holbrooki)
    IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3829.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Desert Kings (L. g. splendida)
    IMG_3871.jpg
    IMG_3868.jpg
    IMG_3865.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3844.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    IMG_3837.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

MBK & A California King:

IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg

Attached Files:

4. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I know I keep saying it, but you really do have the most beautiful snakes. Those last two...I NEED those, and the other one, and the one before that.

*sigh* I'm lost. Any forum friendly tips on convincing a hubby to fall in love with snakes?

5. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Tell the husband that they are harmless pets....
    Dogs and Cats are more dangerous than any American colubrid.......
    Dogs and Cats stink way more than any reptile.....
    Dogs and Cats cost more to feed than any kingsnake....
    Breeding kings will pay for your hobby.....

Thanks for the kind words Vicki......

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I haven't run across the whitesided speckled before.
    I have always been partial to the gold speckled, That was the first king I ever collected in the wild.
    I really like the black one as well!

Just bat your eyes at him and explain in your sweetest voice that you would do just about anything to get one!
    My wife pulls THAT one on me all the time!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

All gorgeous, but that first speckled is to die for:x and of course the MBK's too

8. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Those are some uncommonly beautiful common kings!!! Gorgeous, really!!

Arguments for keeping snakes:

They don't stink (much/often)
    They don't shed
    You don't have to take them for walks (especially in winter -- snow/rain whatever you get!)
    They don't make noise. (Think middle of the night / middle of the football game, whatever)
    You can leave them all day or all weekend without a guilty conscience -- they won't miss you.
    They won't chew or scratch up the furniture.
    You don't have to train them.
    They only eat about once a week or less often for adults.
    They don't take up a lot of space (unless you have A LOT of them)
    If you feed F/T, the food items are easy to store and don't take a lot of preparation/work.
    They tend to keep the mother-in-law away!! (my favorite reason)
    They don't need expensive vaccinations, or spaying/neutering/licensing, taxes....

(I just got a puppy 3 weeks ago and I SERIOUSLY under-appreciated how low-maintenance my snakes are!!!)

Aside from all that:
    Snakes are fascinating to watch, beautiful, mysterious, exotic... shall I go on?

9. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Merlin...the original white walled speckled king was found in Missouri.
    The original captive breeder, Terry Vandeventer did not want them to be associated with or confused with the white sided floridana that has a very controversial lineage so he named them White Walled Speckled King instead.....

A couple years ago another wild White Wall was found in Louisiana.
    bvd10Dec9c.jpg

Attached Files:

10. reptilelover123

reptilelover123 Active Member

That's alot of snakes dude, I must say that is...... Extremely and totally awesome. lol

11. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Thanks....
    That is just a small portion of my collection......I'm so addicted.......LOL

12. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

He's not at all afraid of them. In fact he asks to hold them now and then when I already have them out (while pretending that he's not interested of course) so I suspect it's just a matter of time.

And it actually works? I must not be doing it right then, either that or he's immune after all of these years.

Though he did suggest that I move them all to the spare room for the winter to better regulate temperatures and such. Sooo....he basically just gave me the go ahead to have a reptile room right? At least that's how I heard it! :D

You have totally sold me on them...and I'll likely never recover. The biggest question is how long will it take me to convince him that I need another one. Well, actually the biggest question is do I get a kingsnake or a green tree python next? Ooooh or a sand boa. I have snake fever in a major way. :)

13. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Get all three!

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Well it took almost 19 years to convince my husband I needed a dog, but it sounds like yours might be getting slightly interested -- don't push or say things like "see? you like them..." That usually backfires with my husband.
    Just let him warm to them in his own time...Martin was rather interested/reserved, until he saw the GTPs, then he fell in love and now we have 11 of those and one BP.

15. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

I really do hope to some day. The corn is technically my sons and if he decides to take it with him when he moves out...well, I'll miss my son, but that makes room for one more snake right? :D I better give him a bit of time to adjust so he doesn't think I was abducted in the night and that a crazy snake lady was left in my place. If left to my own devices my house would look like Susan's in a matter of months!

Your husband sounds a lot like mine, and I wouldn't dare push. There are some battles that need to be won with patience and subtlety. I think this is one of them. He's FAR more aware of them and what's going on with them than he wants to admit. My heating is all controlled by thermostat, but he'll often ask if it might be just a bit too hot or cold in there, and don't I normally have it at such and such a temp. He'll also start questioning me if I haven't yet fed them on their normal feeding night. He also likes to point out that, "she's acting like she wants you to take her out and hold her" if he sees her doing laps around her enclosure and staring at me. She's probably looking for more food, or to see if I was dumb enough to leave her lid open...but I won't tell him that.

I think you're right. Now that you've got me thinking about it, he's definitely more interested than he pretends to be. He has also started calling her MY snake, though she still technically belongs to the rescue agency I'm fostering her for. However, there's no contract and they weren't willing to take her to the vet when she left a string of mucus along my arm within six hours of me bringing her home. They also had her housed with another ball that was twice her size. I know space is tight there and cannibalism isn't too common among balls...but still. Either way the vet bill was more than what they were asking for her adoption fee so as far as I'm concerned I've already paid for her and if they want to push it I'll pay for her again to keep her safe if I have to. I have a lot to learn still, but at least I have the time, energy, and funds to ensure she's taken care of properly.

Sorry...I've been on a rant about the rescue lately.

16. VickiC

VickiC Elite Member

Oh god...I'm so sorry. I really didn't mean to hijack your thread. You just keep tempting me with all of these beautiful snakes and I lose control of myself.

17. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

****...when your son moves out you have a whole room for snakes......LMAO!

18. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

See! Always look for the positive!
    And if the room is already in use he can't move BACK in!;)