This Disappears When Logged In

My Cested Gecko Won't Eat The Cgd

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus' started by conic92, Oct 7, 2015.

1. conic92

conic92 Member

I've tried two different types of crested gecko powder Pangea and Zoo Meds brand, but my gecko doesn't seem to eat them. However it will eat crickets like crazy. I've been told that the crested gecko food should be its main food source, where as crickets should be an every now and then thing, and could even cause health problems. So I stopped the crickets for a while but noticed my crested got skinny.

Its a juvenile not really that old about 4 inches. Does anyone have any advise as to getting he/she to start eating this gecko food? I had the supplement hanging on the side of the glass and even out the fake plants near it where my gecko always hides, but I've never seen it actively eat it, and as I said, he/she lost some weight.

Help please!
    And thanks!

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I would try Repashy then. 99% of geckos eat that that I've seen. If he/she is not eating still something may be wrong. Best of luck!

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

OK, lets start with getting the basics covered. We need all your setup info, cage type and size, temps and humidity and how your measuring them, and a picture or two would help as well. I would like the situation to someone eating cheese burgers, and now they don't want to stop. Who wants salad after nomming burgers, right? Might not hurt to try the repashy. Another thing is to make up a fresh batch and, if it will let you, smear a little on it's nose. This will get them to lick it, and sometimes that's all it takes. Assuming all the housing parameters are good, it should start on the diet on its own. And keep in mind, young ones especially don't eat much. I was making 1/4 teaspoon quantities at a time and having leftovers when mine was young.

4. conic92

conic92 Member

The crested gecko is in a 5 gallon tall due to its size. With lots of foliage and a hanging water and foot cup. I will be able to attach pictures when I'm home. I do not have an exact idea of what the humidity is, I heavy mist in the morning and light mist at night. The temperature right now is between 70-76. I also have him/her out of direct sunlight. I'm guessing you're right in that it is eating just not a lot. I did not know they don't eat that much when they're growing. I make a lot of food and end up throwing it out because it doesn't eat it all.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make home made food? Is it just as simple as blending up fruit?

Thanks for the reply.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi. Nope, not as simple as mixing fruit. There is an insect component to their diet that would be hard to duplicate at home without feeding insects, and then there comes the whole issue of adding supplements. With a single crestie, even a small bag/jar of the diet should last a while. The trick is to watch how much yours eats and only mix that much at a time. I like to see just the tiniest bit of leftovers with mine. That way I know they are getting enough, and I can up the amount if they start eating more.
    So, I would skip the potential guesswork of making your own. Start by mixing a small amount, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, and see if there is any left the next day. Then adjust the amount from there.