This Disappears When Logged In

My Brown Anole is Unable to Open His Eyes!

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by Lizards, May 20, 2013.

1. Lizards

Lizards New Member

There is a male brown anole at my school in the Biology classroom. Also in the tank are 4 green anoles (at least one male) and one female brown anole. The male brown anole is unable to open either of his eyes, and is getting skinnier as I type this. Several other anoles in this tank have one eye stuck closed, but their other eye is fine so they have no troubles eating. I managed to get the blind brown anole to eat two mealworms today, and he seemed pretty happy. Is there anything I can do to get his eyes to reopen? I have seen a male green anole pick on him and feel that his eyes may have been damaged in one of those scuffles. I am unable to move him from the current tank into another. It is a 10 gallon tank with just a 60 watt heat lamp :/ The poor guys are so neglected. Is there anything I can do?

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Really the only way to fix the situation is to set these anoles up correctly. You should tell your teacher that he or she is slowly killing these lizards, but you can prevent this with proper husbandry. A ten gallon tank is barely enough room for a single adult anole. This is absolutely horrible.

3. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Print this off: Green Anole Caresheet (Anolis carolinensis)
    Give it to your teacher and hope that they realize that if nothing changes those animals will die.
    Good luck and I hope that they do something to atleast give those animals a chance to live a healthy life.

4. Lizards

Lizards New Member

Okay, so I set up the two brown anoles in a 10 gallon by themselves. He let me do that, thank goodness. Should that help the little guy? I know the green anoles are still overcrowded, but one battle at a time, right? Also, how do I tell if a female anole is "pregnant"? She looks MUCH rounder than the other females, and obviously the males. Is there anything I can do to ensure the egg survives while she carries it? Should handling be nonexistent? (I had to move them to the new tank, and the male is super docile and climbs right up on my hand when he feels it near him) Also, what sort of place should be provided for her to lay an egg if she has one? Thank you all for answering me!

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The best thing for the egg is to properly support the Mom. UVB light is one of the biggest priorities right now(UVB lights help them absorb calcium), also dusting her food with calcium will help. The eggs will be ok, the female will suffer if not taken care of. The egg will take the nutrients from the Mom's diet, if it is not what it needs it will leech them from her body.

6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

First of all, Hi, sorry I missed this post.
    Second, as long as the substrate is a couple inches deep and the temps and humidty are correct, I'm assuming she'll be fine. They tend to lay more than one though. If for whatever reason the eggs cant be provided for, you could freeze them, and throw them away. And follow what Wyldrose said,
    Best of luck to you and the anoles.