This Disappears When Logged In

My Boa Hasn't Pooped In 3-5 Weeks

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Alec Hostetler, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Alec Hostetler

Alec Hostetler New Member

Ive had my boa for a little over 3 months now and hes been pooping normally up until 3-5 weeks ago. He eats every 5 days and has yet to refuese a meal. Hes right about to shed. Hes still young and is 24.6 inches at 241 grams. Anyone know why he wouldn't be pooping?

2. Alec Hostetler

EDIT: Im wondering if the extra weight could be from poop. Im not sure a 4-6 month old boa would be that heavy. He gets 2 hopper mice or a small mouse every 5 days. Hes girthy enough to take rat pups or so it looks. Im wondering if hes fat for his age/length or that extra weight is in fact poop.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not all that unusual for them to hold it for a while. Probably find the cage trashed when it finally sheds, likely to do it all at once. And I highly doubt it is overweight, I would actually say it is underweight for that length. Definitely needs moved up to larger prey, possibly large mice or similar sized rat. Kind of hard to say without seeing a picture.

4. Alec Hostetler

It's not his tank but just something I put him in to get a picture and give him a bath.

Attached Files:

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like the snake is being underfed. In that case the snake will not go as often as you might expect. I would move up to rat pups.

6. Alec Hostetler

Ok. In the mean time is it ok if i feed multiple smaller mice to instead?

7. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

If you are trying to use the mice you already have it will not hurt to feed it multiple mice as long as it is getting enough to eat, but the next time you by food, I think you should move up on prey size as Merlin stated.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Definitely time to move up in prey size. I would start feeding several of the mice to get them used up, also get some rat pups to try. Prey should leave a noticeable lump in the snake.