This Disappears When Logged In

My Blue Iguana Looks Bloated ???!!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Jimkim8894, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Jimkim8894

Jimkim8894 New Member

i have a blue iguana named kujo he's Around a year and half old ....he seems to be very bloated I just moved him into his new bigger cage.. but I also have a smaller orange /green iguana named koopa that is with him now as well .. iv owned iguanas before didn't have this happen I'm not sure if he's eating extra beings koopa is there .. he is going potty so no constipation that I know of .. any suggestions ??? .... It's hard to tell when he's just full and he's growing so fast it's amazing but makes it hard to tell what is going on ..

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Can you put up photos of the igs and the enclosure. What are the temperatures and how are you measuring.
    First off you should not be housing them together. That's a recipe for disaster involving lots of bloodshed.
    Also there is no such thing as an orange iguana. Orange coloration on a green iguana usually indicates a breeding cycle

3. Jimkim8894

Jimkim8894 New Member

IMG_1470.JPG
    Please polite replies I love my animals and am trying to do all I can
    Yes I can they are in a 4ft by 6 1/2 ft octagon the temp stays around 85 to 90 degrees of course hotter in there basking spots around 93 or so but iv had iguanas housed together before with no problem but koopa was a rescue and recently added in addition to the bigger cage ... but there had been no fighting between the two I made sure there's enough spots so each one can get out of sight of each other ... I also have changed the diet too no longer giving any romaine lettuce ... post pics soon ...

4. Jimkim8894

Jimkim8894 New Member

I will take another pic of cage I put larger/taller wood / spots so they could use full copasity of the cage I'm at work at the moment

Attached Files:

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, politeness is my hobby ;) it takes a split second for a defensive reaction from either iguana which could result in serious injury to one or both, it really isn`t worth the risk. As far as the bloating, is it possible the animal is a gravid female?
    How are you measuring the ambient and surface temps plus humidity range, and what are latter two?

6. Merlin

Are your comments about politeness aimed at me? I was polite. I just don't beat around the bush. I have kept iguanas since the 70s. And been helping run forums for almost 20 years. If you had any idea how many people I have dealt with who have given the argument that they had kept iguanas together without problem, only to come back with "the iguanas are fighting" and even "1 killed the other," to understand my directness.

7. Merlin

It appears from the photos that there is a lot of size difference in them. If this is the case you need to separate them immediately. Just having visual cover is not enough. When the territorial aggression starts it can happen very quickly.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

It`s a tough life trying to help other people take care of their animals better, it really is!;)

9. Jimkim8894

Jimkim8894 New Member

Alright now I actually was only making a statement before comments started coming in ... I do want y'all openion .. I'm trying to do the right thing for the both of them it wasn't planned to have the second one but kind heart can't help it but I'm in the process of getting stuff together to try and separate them .. in the mean time pretty much trying to keep them away from each other is best ? I haven't seen aggression both are eating iv got a bunch of feeding spots and water .. but I also work so I can't keep eye around clock .. iv looked at both and no physical trauma .. I believe my bigger one is male the little one I can't tell