This Disappears When Logged In

My Ball Was Bitten!

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by plisskin, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Be patient. I leave my F/T rats out for a couple of hours then run them under hot tap water. If it feels squishy, kinds of like rare steak, then I just drop it in. If Roxy doesn't eat it within 24 hours I remove it and wait a couple of days. I figure either I didn't defrost it right or she just isn't that hungry. But I don't want her to eat spoiled food and they can smell nasty!!! Good luck. It may take a while but you are much better off switching to the frozen rats.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Sometimes I have better luck with my finicky snakes if I wait till night to try to feed them, and make sure lights are off. Sometimes I have to go as far as to put a sheet over the cage to block out light coming from house lights and windows.

Only one of mine is bad enough to need such treatment, and I usually reserve it for when he has skipped a few meals.

Don't forget that many snakes will fast through their winter too. I think everyone in here was a little distressed the first time it happened to them. I know I was.

3. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

Thanks everyone! I'm going to try it out tonight,will post outcome!(also,can't see any mark from mouse bite last week,neosporane worked great,lesson learned!)

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Everyone has given great advice. Good luck!

5. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

There is another thing you can do. And please everyone don't condemn me.
    You can take a live rat and put it in a pillow case and give it a good strong whack against the wall.
    It's instantaneous death and you have the food item at the appropriate temperature at the same time.

6. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

Celebration Time! My BP did'nt seem to know the difference! Put him in his feed box & he went into feed mode & success! The only mistake I think I made was not heating the mouse a little more, when I dropped the mouse in, he actually struck the tail & didn't coil it much, but I'm not complaining! I put the mouse in a paper bag & dropped it in like I did with live. Thanks again!

7. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

Thought I better confirm that I did thaw the mouse for about an hour before & then put the blow dryer in the bag a few minutes!

8. kcftlaud08

kcftlaud08 Elite Member

Congrats on successful feeding! A positive end result is all anyone hopes for in that arena.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I had to do that a few times in the process of converting mine, though I preferred to use ziploc bags because we had a few rats that were, well, very messy.

And then I learned the ruler trick. Life was much easier.

10. ashleelove

ashleelove Member

Repti wound heal. Smells horrible but works great!

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

A lot of snakes won't bother coiling an F/K or F/T mouse or rat. My rainbow boa just looked it over, found the head and started swallowing. Some will use coils to help push the rat into their mouths -- others will just push the rat against the wall of the feeding box.
    Congratulations on a successful conversion! (BPs can be finicky and go on fasts... but don't let this worry you. You now know he will take F/T, so there is never a reason to go back to live. He'll eat when he's good and hungry.)
    Great job!

12. StiffyG123

StiffyG123 Elite Member

Try fresh kill. if he doesn't eat wait till his next regular feeding day and try again with another fresh kill. If he is hungry enough he will eat it! just be patient!:)

13. plisskin

plisskin Active Member

Second attempt not as good! Had some trouble this time, had to take mouse back out and used tongs to shake a little still nothing! heated up mouse again and dropped it back in and tilted feeding box to make mouse slide across botoom & he took it! (Gave me an idea!) If i make a very small slit 1/16 of inch along bottom of feeding box & drop mouse in I could slide it across bottom! (Might Work!)

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

That might work every now and then, but you'll find out that BPs can be VERY VERY frustrating when it comes to eating!!
    If he took the F/T mouse once, he will again... I used to give myself tendonitis wiggling the mice in front of my BP. Now I offer it nice and warm with tongs, if he doesn't take it, I leave him in the heated feeding box with it for a few hours in the dark.
    If he doesn't eat it, I throw it away and try again about a week to 10 days later. When he's REALLY hungry, he doesn't care if it's dancing or not and I save myself a lot of frustration; not to mention sore wrists!
    :)

15. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

It's nice to have a savannah monitor lizard handy to take care of those uneaten meals! lol:p

16. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Congrats on converting yours to F/T. While I haven't had much luck. He did so well for a couple of months there killing and swallowing the small rats (they look huge now in comparison to the mice). After his little cut that healed beautifully with neosporine(advice from here), he would not eat for 3 weeks, tried everything. He has now settled for small female mouse (less aggressive?)

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sex has nothing to do with it. When the mouse is attacked it will be fighting for its life and may injure the snake. If he was taking dead prey he will continue to do so. Don't backslide!

18. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

3 weeks is nothing, stay strong, you need to be more stubborn than them.

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

The B-python that I have kept and posted about for more than a year was injured only once. She was a female.
    Recently, Dec., 15, I picked up a male. He is a snake that was brought in to the petstore by a kid who didn't want it anymore. In reality he was just looking for some cash! I was there. The last inch of his tail was already bitten off by a rat and had healed.
    It wasn't until his next shed that I realized that he had about five scars on his body from rat bites! All were completly healed, But...

Some might consider this natural, and it is! But, My cat might get scarred up if I forced him to eat live rodents even though a wild cat suffers the same fate!
    My dog(former) might get impaled on a deer antler if forced to hunt in the wild.
    I'd rather my pythons meals come as easy as opening a can of catfood for my cat.

F\T all the way!

20. Maya

Maya Elite Member

That is absolutely right, they are pets for a reason to be spoiled, looked after and have a good life. I usually get a good laugh when I talk about my python who is afraid of rat pups. But really I do want him to live a life of royalty, and no rodent is ever going to terrorize him again. I am all for war on rodent terrorists. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.