This Disappears When Logged In

My Ball Python is Being Really Really Aggressive

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by tdo15, Mar 16, 2011.

1. tdo15

tdo15 Member

thats what i meant i apologize i would never just go for him from the top i think im more scared of blaze now then he is of me so i try to be slow and gentle lol , the reptology thermometer is just this little plastic thing that i stick to the side of the cage the breeder from the store i got blaze said those work fine but i wasn't to sure about anything she said thats why im here to ask the real pros lol , the noises i make in my garage can be anything from working on my hondas to drinkin and listenin to music with the boys haha , when i go to mist my cage i tend to make a little noise opening the cage and right away blaze is poking his head out of his cave and eye ballin me , yesterday before bed i checked on him and he was at the top of his plants tryin to make a break for it lol or do you think he could just be getting hungry i have not fed him since friday and it is now thursday

also i forgot to ask where is the best place for the cheapes thermometers and another dumb question but i need help to keep humidity in the cage im tired of spraying his cage 3 4 times a day i was considering one of those water falls for his custom cage im building would that help?? and another thing in edmonton rats are illegal i actually think in alberta they are we got enough rodent problems were not tryin to bring rats to alberta in the last 8 years i have had snakes not one store in edmonton sells live rats this might be just a city ban or maybe a province ban im not sure all i know is there is no place to get a live rat here if you want to feed live bigger rodents you gotta go with gerbils i personaly think its dumb to ban rats but what can ya do

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

1. What is the top of your tank made out of? Is it mesh?

2. Go to your local hardware store, and get an indoor-outdoor digital thermometer. I can find them in the US for about $13. The "outdoor" part is a probe, and you can move it around the tank to get different readings.

3. Your snake has been used to a bi-weekly feeding schedule. This over-stresses the system and there is no need. He is constantly looking for food and associates your hand with it. Feed once a week, and handle him in between. He'll eventually figure out that your hand does not equal food all the time,.

4. you should be able to get FROZEN rats without a problem. Its the live rats you can't get, and any live food poses a huge problem for your snake. Rodents bite and bite wounds get infected. Rats have dirty mouths. F/T rodents are safe for your animal and the freezer kills off any parasites that could be transferred to your snake. You can buy frozen in bulk, and you won't have any size issues.

3. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

I would get him out of the garage and into a quiet room. A waterfall would Braque to much humidity. If it had a screen top put a piece of plywood or something to cover the majority of the top.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

One other thing to think about is- you mentioned he is only a few months old, when snakes are very young they are the rock bottom part of the food chain. They see something coming at them that is 100-200 times or more larger than they are, they tend to get snappy. It is a defense mechanism and they are only trying to give the message that they are not a food item.

5. tdo15

tdo15 Member

the top of my cage is one of those metal tops you usually get for a reptile the one where it fits around the tank so when the snake pushes up it wont budge , would somewhere like walmart or canadian tire have those types of thermometers

do you think i should cover the back and both sides for more security??

and honestly i have a huge garage with a kitchen and living area that has a wall between my car bay, blaze is in the living area so he doesnt see us working he just might here a litle bit of noise when my air compressor turns on for a min or two here and there. in my house is alot noiser because people are always over thats why i thought it was a good idea to move him outside where no kids can bug him or stuff like that lol

and i guess that makes sense i never had a baby ball before all my other ones were adults when i got them so they were lazy and calm i guess his attitude is almost like having a teenager lol

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Another thing to conside is the chemicals used in working on cars. Solvents and they like are not going to be good for him.

7. schlegelbagel

You missed the point of the top of the tank. Is it mesh? If so your heat and humidity are going right out the top. Try putting a piece of wood on top.

8. tdo15

tdo15 Member

9. schlegelbagel

ding ding ding! This is why you need a good hygrometer/thermometer combo. Get a wood top on. Spray as needed. You may find out that once you have a wood top on, you don't need as much heat and you only need to mist once a day.

On my tank, I cut out a hole in the wood for my shop light fixture. The light sits on top of the screen and the wood fits snug around. I left about 1/2 inch of wood off the screen on the far cool end, to help with air circulation.

10. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Just buy a boa phile cage and you won't need to worry about humidity our heat nearly as much! custom cages can be great visually, but the snake couldn't care less what people think of the enclosure.

11. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

My advice: STOP feeding him or handling him for about 2 weeks!!! (I swear he will not starve!!)
    Your feeding schedule is too intensive for his system. Snakes need several days to a week or more to digest. If you add food too soon, some of it can rot in his stomach before it's digested. This will cause vomiting, etc.

When you finally feed again: Just ONE rat pup (about as thick as the widest part of your BP once a week or every 10 days should be PLENTY.

Changing to live food could make him more aggressive, NOT LESS!
    Buy or make yourself a snake hook. This way you keep your hands out of striking range until you've gotten your snake out of his tank and into his feeding box or out for handling.
    Just slip the hook carefully under the first 1/3 to 1/2 of his body and slowly lift him out. The hook is not warm and hasn't been associated with food, so he most likely won't bite it.
    Hook training takes some time, but I find it less stressful for everyone than just gloves. If the snake snaps at the gloves, you are still likely to pull your hand away and can damage his teeth.

12. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Fantastic advice. I ditto it.

Two things I thought:

1) There is too much heavy vibration in your garage from the bikes and the music. It is very disturbing to your snake and he is not amused or comfortable with it.

2) Please take him to the vet and check him for MITES, which will also make him very irritable, and for internal parasites.