This Disappears When Logged In

My Ball Python is Being Really Really Aggressive

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by tdo15, Mar 16, 2011.

1. tdo15

tdo15 Member

Hey hows it going i'm new to this site so i'm not sure if i'm in the right place but i need help real bad with my ball python. he is just a youngin. When i first got him 2 months ago he would never hiss strike or go straight for my hand every time i go to change his water. I was feeding him frozen hoppers, but decided to switch him to rat pups just cause i want to see him get big. He ate two and ever since he has bin a jerk. I feed him outside of his cage every time. I used to handle him a few times a week until he started having his hissy fits. The temp in his cage is good. I also spray his cage for humidity. I just have no idea what to do with him anymore. I stopped trying after he bit me a few times. People say let him bite you he will eventually stop. Well not this guy. He doesn't want anything to do with me anymore lol So should i just leave him in his cage and switch him to live or what cause i'm tired of getting bit. I would really appreciate the advice so thank you for listening to my problem. Hopefully i can fix it

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: I Have One Grumpy Ball Python What Should I Do

Sorry to hear that you BP is a little grumpy! Wish I could help, I'm sure that someone who owns one will be by to help you out.

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll both be fine!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

First, please use some punctuation, you are very hard to read.

2nd, you need to tell us the details of how you are keeping him. Temps, humidity, size of cage, lighting, substrate, hides and any other general care. Where is his tank located in your house?

Switching to live is not only dangerous, but will do nothing with his biting problem.

4. tdo15

tdo15 Member

sorry , he is in a 20 gallon long his hot side is at 85 right now and his cold side is 73 right now but his hot can go up to 95 and his cold can go up to 80 sometimes depends on the weather outside. i use repti bark for substrate, his humidity goes from 40 to 70% again depending on the weather , for heat and lighting i have a undertank heater and for lights i have a red 100 watt along with a 75 watt night glo light for night time. he has two hides a cave on the hot side and a rock cave on the cold side, i also have a climbing tree and have plants on both sides of the cage to cover his hides so he doesn't think someone can get him from the top. for other general care i think im doing what im supposed to he eats twice a week, i keep his cage clean i have no idea what im doing wrong hes not my first snake lol , sorry i forgot to add i keep him in my garage im out there from after work till bedtime on most nights lol i have heated flooring and a big heater that keeps my garage at room temp , i thought it would actually be better out there for him because the only people he sees is me and my girlfriend.

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How old is he? An adult needs a 40 gallon tank, but if he's just a juvi the 20 gallon is fine now. He may be finding the 20 gallon a bit too small, and this is making him nippy.

When you feed him, do you see a bulge from his food? Do you have any other snakes?

6. tdo15

tdo15 Member

tell you the truth im not to sure how old he is if i was to guess i would say maybe 4 to 6 months he is not quite 2 feet yet , and yes when i do feed him there is a bulge not all the time tho cause the place i get my frozen rats isnt so consistant on the sizes of rat pups , one rat will be huge the other rat will be half the size of the other pup so when that happens i give him two

7. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Is her biting just when you get him out or constantly? I find they strike at first, then when out they will settle. If there is nothing wrong with him health wise, he could be going into shed, other wise use a pair of gloves and take him out and handle him for a few minutes at a time every other day to help tame him. I have a baby boa that is the same way. I would switch to aspen bedding, then he can burrow as well as use the hides.

8. tdo15

tdo15 Member

its constantly he dont want me near him what so ever lol, but do snakes get nippy when there about to go into shed?? cause he hasnt shed since i got him and his eyes arent foggy, also yesterday he bit me so i just tried feeding him in the cage he struk the rat but that was it he backed into his hide and i haven't seen him come out since i tried leaving the rat in there and turning the lights off in the garage for a while but he didn't go for it

9. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

feeding twice a week is too much, i feed my juvies once a week, two rat fuzzies, over feeding may be a cause also, they are opportunists and will eat when its available, so basicly he is being power fed, try slowing the feeding habbits

10. tdo15

tdo15 Member

really i didnt know that the place i got him said they fed him two hoppers twice a week do you think he goes for my hand right away cause he knows he is getting fed?? cause honestly the only time i used to hold him is a couple days after he ate and when i take him out to feed him

11. tdo15

tdo15 Member

so should i just wait it out and hope for the best or should i take some action and change something with his cage im gonna try to slow him down on feeding for a start thanks for the advice everyone dont be afraid to tell me more things i could do to calm blaze down cause i love snakes but hate being bit lol

12. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

You are still feeding him frozen/thawed aren't you. Since the behaviour change seems to have coincided with the change in feeding regime, perhaps reverting will calm him back down.
    Have you got a spare tank you could feed him in? That might reduce the aggression to just feeding time. :)

13. vega74

vega74 Elite Member

What are you measuring the heat with? Cause that sounds like alot of heat in a 20g tank. At room temp I can't put anything more than a 75w nightglo on my 20g with out it being to hot. An they do get mean if Temps are to hot.

14. HERPies

HERPies Elite Member

Yes they get aggressive in shed, their eyes will only go foggy for a day or two during the whole shed. Slow the feeding once a week. Don't handle him for a few days to see if he is coming into shed. If he continues after all the changes, and possible shed, you will just need to suit up with gloves and be gentle, but don't back down from his defensive strikes, and in theory, he should calm down.

15. tdo15

tdo15 Member

i feed blaze in a kritter keeper but not his last rat i just fed it to him in his cage cause he wasn't letting me near him i was going to put on gloves and grab him but i dont want to stress him so i left him alone , maybe i do have to much heat i measure the heat with reptology thermometers, but where im from when it gets cold it gets really cold so during the winter i usually try to get more heat in the cage im just scared of the over night temps it gets well below zero most nights here im going to give that a try tho thanks for the advice guys

another thing do you guys think the noise i make in my garage when doing something could have caused blaze to get stressed and scared, i would put him in my house but there is more noise in there than outside in my garage lol, honestly i feel like if he bites me one more time im gonna resort to live mice i just dont find getting bit everytime i want to hold or feed my snake is worth it i love the snake to death but holy ive bin bit by blaze more times in a week than i have by any other snake ive owned ever

16. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

get a good digital thermometer/ hygrometer, the ones that stick to the side of the enclosure only measure the temp. of the surface area. Sounds to me like it may be too hot, that could definitely be a reason for over aggressiveness!

Feeding him live is not a way to correct his behavior, and could lead to injuries to your snake.

17. tdo15

tdo15 Member

i just took one of his lights off and turned down the 100 watt hopefully that helps out but if i do decide to feed live it wouldn't be rats cause they are illegal in canada or atleast here they only sell live mice and all my old snakes had no problems with the adult mice i can see rats gerbals and bigger rodents posing a threat to my snake but i think a little mouse couldn't pose that much of a threat yet i could be wrong and i dont want to feed him live its much cheaper to feed frozen and i dont gotta go to the pets store every week lol but thanks for the help everyone i took everybodys advice into thought and hopefully my snake will learn to like me once again

18. aquarles

aquarles Elite Member

I'm glad everyone on here could help you, they have done wonders for me, being a new snake owner and all. I hope you will consider still feeding f/t. I feed both of my snakes f/t and it is wonderful to have them on hand and I do not have to worry about driving anywhere. Plus, it's less stress and harm on your snake if it's already killed when being offered to your snake.

If it would make you feel better, you can get some long tongs to feed your snake with if you want more room between the mouse and your hand. I use cheap grilling tongs and just pinch the little pinkies on their behind and offer it to my snakes lol I currently have a 'biter' as well so as much room as I can get between her food and me i'd appreciate! :)

19. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

Yes you could be wrong, very. :) Don't forget we're talking about domestic rodents here, not wild ones. I kept pet mice and rats for many years, out of the two, a mouse would be much more of a threat to your snake than a rat.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

go ahead and use the gloves if it makes you feel more comfortable. And don't grab him, slide your hand under his belly about 1/3 of the way down the body and gently lift up. Coming in from above and suddenly grabbing him is the action of a birds of prey, one of their chief predators in the wild.

Do you mean this?
    Reptology Life Science Digital Thermometer
    and contrary to what it says on the package, it is NOT a digital thermometer!

Those things are worthless in a terrarium. They were designed to measure the temps in a water filled aquarium. In an air filled tank it only measures the temperature of the wall of the tank.

Think touching one of the windows in your house in the dead of winter. The temperature of the glass is not the temperature in the house.
    Unless you are an eskimo!;)

Get you a good digital thermometer with a remote probe. Something like this 00888A2 Acu-Rite Digital Thermometer These also have a minimum maximum recording so you know exactly what is happeing in the tank at all times.
    But excessive heat is as bad as insufficient heat.

What type of noises are we talking about?
    If you are making a lot of loud banging and clanging it could very well be upsetting him. Snakes cannot hear, but sense vibrations.
    That won't solve anything and may result in your snake being injured or even killed by the rodent.
    You HAVE to have a good thermometer and know exactly what the temperatures are. Anything else and you are fishing in the dark.
    I have never heard of rats being illegal in Canada.
    You got lucky. There have been numerous cases of mice killing the snake.
    Yes you are. And consider that that snake is going to get far too big to be fed a diet of small mice! My pair eat large rats.

Feeding twice a week is too often. It keeps their metabolism going full bore and never has a chance to calm down. And you should be feeding one prey item about as big around as the snake's body at the widest point.

To be honest, it sounds like you have been training the snake to bite!

Look at it this way.
    You feed twice a week and then wait a couple of days to handle. So basically almost everytime the cage is opened, there is food coming.
    Snakes have a pretty simple mind. Cage opening equals feeding time.