This Disappears When Logged In

My baby RTB

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by Dana, Sep 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana

Dana Active Member

Yup it's me again; lol

How long can my RTB go without eating?
    I fed her 2 hoppers 9-4-04. I brought her home the 23 of Aug.
    I tried feeding her in a seperate container and she would not eat; but when I fed her in her "living room" she ate.
    I've tried to feed her since then and she won't.
    Could she be full? She has gone "potty" and all is well. She hasn't shed yet either. She's at 22" still.

here are pics of her last feeding. Flash was not used.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any and all advice is welcomed as much as it's needed!
    Thank You everyone for the help I have recieved already!

2. Dana

Dana Active Member

Anyone?????

Can anyone help me out here?
    I just tried to feed her again and she won't eat in or out of her tank!
    NEED some advice here.

3. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Make sure her eyes are clear and she's not going to shed. My rtb's eat once a week, but they are adults, I've never had a baby. If she ate 2 in that pic that's a large meal, but that young I would think she's ready to eat again.
    Are you using f/t, if so leave the food item in with her overnight and see what happens. She could just be playing shy in her terrible 2's.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

She may be ready to shed, or she may still be adjusting to her new environment - you've only had her a month or so? And even though she ate once for you she may still be settling in. Also, are hoppers rats? - if so have you tried with mice? She may be used to eating other food items, or may have been hungry when you first brought her home but now is not so much,. she ate and went to the toilet, she sounds fine. Some of our snakes won't eat every week - perhaps the meal was larger than she was used to and she is still digesting some of it. No need to worry - leave her til next feeding day and try again. Also, you may have difficulty feeding her in a separate container initially - i usually feed in the tank for the first couple of feeds anyway, to let the snake settle in, and to ensure a feeding response, before we swap to a separate feeding box. :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Snakes can go an incredible amount of time (months!) without eating and not suffer any ill effects. This frequently throws owners into total panic. My male ball python routinely fasts from November till May every year.

If the picture is indicative of the size of the prey and you are feeding 2 at a time the snake just may not be hungry. You might want to back off a bit on the amount of feding. My baby boa eats once a week and I feed one adult mouse that is a touch bigger aroudn than the snakes body at the widest part. It's also possible that she is getting ready to shed. Young snakes shed fairly frequently. Give her a week and try again.

6. Dana

Dana Active Member

Thanks everyone

I have tried both live as well as prekill; nothing.
    I'm not going to try again until the weekend. She came out last night for a little while and that's when I tried.
    When I was posting the pics of her feeding I was starting to think the same thing about her being full.
    I'll be patient and see what she does on the weekend.
    No sign of shedding yet; I've been waiting an watching.
    Thanks again everyone! :D

7. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Dana, the food that your boa has taken for you - was it f/t or live? If it was f/t, it is best not to try live unless as an absolute last resort - live food can be harmful to your snake, and it could also be difficult weaning the snake back onto f/t, not to mention that if your snake will eat f/t there really is no need to try live. I'm certain that there really is no need to worry - as Merlin said some snakes just lose their appetite over winter,. several of our snakes stopped eating for a few months over the last winter, and some of them are already beginning to slow down their intake or just stop altogether, for this year. After a few months it can be quite stressful trying to get the snake to feed! But after only a week or two there really is no need to worry. :)

8. Dana

Dana Active Member

Understand

I understand the concern of feeding live food! I'm trying to get all of mine to f/t. Although it is patience with them. LOL
    Little Bit ate 2 live in the same night. I did try f/t before the live and nothing.
    I think I'll wait about 2 weeks then try f/t and see what she does.
    I guess I'm just an over protective momma.

Thank You

9. BOA68

BOA68 Member

RTB aren't known for having poor eating habits as Ball pythons are. I would start to get concerned. He should be adjusted to his new home by now, its been a month. At this point it could be signs of illness. Resporatory infection maybe. There are many possibilties, the vet should probably take a look at him. Don't worry he can go for a while without eating, I wouldn't worry about that. Just why he won't eat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.